Filial church of St Stanislaus Kostka, Wałdowo
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Filial church of St Stanislaus Kostka

Wałdowo

photo

The church is an example of an eighteenth-century sacred building, erected using the traditional half-timbered construction technique.

History

The parish in Wałdowo existed already in 1635. Presently, since 2002, it has been a filial church of the parish in Piaszczyna. The present church was constructed in 1716. In 1957, the church was significantly re-designed; a sacristy and a porch were added, the articulation of windows was changed, and the interior was modernised.

Description

Th church is situated in the northern part of the village, on a hill, in a meander of a river, and oriented. It is placed on a plot in the shape of an irregular pentagon. In the proximity of the church there is a lake (towards the south), a rectory and cemetery (towards the east and the north-east), and a valley of the river with woods covering its banks (towards the west and the north-west).

The body of the church is a half-timbered structure with brick infills covered with plaster. The tower features a post-and-beam structure. Its walls and the gable of the nave are covered with weatherboards.

The nave of the church is erected on an elongated rectangular floor plan, with an altar section closed off on three sides. It is covered with a gable roof, and with a three-pitched roof in the altar section. On the western side, there is a tower built into the nave. It has one storey and is covered with a tall hip tented roof clad in wood shingles. A sacristy, significantly lower and narrower than the nave, was added to the eastern wall of the nave in 1957. It resembles the elongated rectangular floor plan of the nave, with the eastern section closed off on three sides. In the same year, a single-storey porch covered with a gable roof was added to the western wall of the tower. The main entrance to the building is located in the porch, and the side entrance is located in the sacristy.

In the façades, there are rectangular window openings that were crated during the reconstruction in 1957. Originally, they were arranged in two rows. The church does not feature architectural decoration. However, a checkerboard arrangement of posts and beams and the colours of wood contrasted with plastered infills serve as a decoration.

The interior of the church, modernised in 1957, follows an open-space layout. Only few elements of the Baroque fittings from 1717 has survived. Those are: the main altar and the pulpit, modified in 1957 (the original pulpit altarpiece was divided into an altar and a pulpit), the baptismal font, and the confessional, as well as the pipe organ casing from the 19th century, and bells from 1625 and 1862.

The building is accessible to visitors. Viewing of the church is possible directly before and after services.

compiled by Beata Dygulska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Gdańsk, 01-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Gohrbandt E., Ortsgeschichte, [w:] Der Kreis Rummelsburg. Ein Heimatbuch, Stettin 1938, s. 184-186
  • Schulz H., Kirchenbau, [w:] Der Kreis Rummelsburg. Ein Heimatbuch, Stettin 1938, s. 425
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury. Kościół ewangelicki, ob. rzym.-kat. par. p.w. św. Stanisława Kostki, opr. H. Soja,1996, Archiwum NID

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1 poł. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Wałdowo 33 a
  • Location: Voivodeship pomorskie, district bytowski, commune Miastko - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area