The parish church of St St Martin, Ujazd Górny
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The parish church of St St Martin

Ujazd Górny

photo

The parish church in Ujazd Górny constitutes a valuable example of Silesian ecclesiastical architecture, its most distinctive feature being the preserved fragments of a 13th-century Romanesque structure.

History

The parish church of St Martin in Ujazd Górny (known as Ober Mois until 1945) was erected in the early 13th century, the first written mentions of the structure dating back to the year 1217. The church and the accompanying rectory were lost to the blaze in 1428 and suffered further damage during the Thirty Years’ War. The building was restored on numerous occasions. In 1673, a new, post-and-beam tower was added, as was the new, wood shingle roof cladding. In years 1857-1858, the church was redesigned, with the nave being extended westwards by a single bay and a new tower being added. The church was renovated in years 1962-1963. The church was originally placed under the care of the Cistercian monks back in the 13th century, with the document confirming the grant being issued in 1217; later on, the church remained in the hands of the abbots of Lubiąż until the year 1810.

Description

The complex comprising the filial church, the cemetery surrounded by a slate wall and the parish priest’s farmhouse is located in the northern part of the village, near the place where the roads leading towards Budziszów Mały, Środa Śląska and Jarosław part.

The current church incorporates remnants of an older, Romanesque structure. The chancel, with its groin vault and semi-circular apse with a conch-shaped half-dome ceiling as well as fragments of the walls in the eastern part of the nave are all believed to originate from before 1217. The western part of the church, on the other hand - the nave with its flat ceiling and the tower - have been constructed in the 19th century. The church is oriented towards the east, with both the walls and the vaulted ceiling in the chancel being made of stone. The church body is covered with a gable roof. The ground-floor section of the tower is designed on a quadrangular floor plan, while the upper part is octagonal in shape and topped with a slender spire. The façades are crowned with an arcaded frieze.

The church is also notable due to its surviving interior fixtures and fittings: Gothic sculptures from the late 15th/early 16th century, portraying the Virgin and Child with Saint Anne as well as St Hedwig, the Baroque main altarpiece from the years 1787-1788, made by Johann Hartmann from Bardo, as well as the side altarpieces dating back to 1804.

The Baroque rectory located in the immediate vicinity of the church (address: Ujazd Górny no. 40) was erected in 1775 by Lukas Springer, the abbot of Lubiąż.

The historic monument is accessible to visitors. Address and contact information is available on the website of the Świdnica diocese - http://www.diecezja.swidnica.pl/

compiled by Bogna Oszczanowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 08-09-2014.

Bibliography

  • Jungnitz, Geschichte der Dörfer Ober- und Nieder-Mois im Neumarkter Kreise, Breslau 1885;
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 897.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce. Powiat Środa Śląska, E. Kołaczkiewicz (ed.), Warsaw 2014, pp. 401-406.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: pocz. XIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Ujazd Górny
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district średzki, commune Udanin
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area