Filial church of St. John the Baptist in Tłokowo, Tłokowo
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Filial church of St. John the Baptist in Tłokowo

Tłokowo

photo

Typical example of a Gothic hall church in Warmia characteristic for rural areas.

History

Tłokowo village was located by the Warmia bishop Eberhard from Nysa twice: in 1318 and in 1321. At the moment of location there was a church, probably a wooden one that was granted 6 voloks of land. The current, brick church of St. John the Baptist with a rank of a parish church was erected in the years 1370-1380 (Gall/Dehio, Chrzanowski) or ca. 1400 (Ulbrich, Herrmann). On 8 December 1402 the church was granted the indulgences from the pope Boniface IX. In 1476 the structure lost its status of a parish church and became the branch of the church of St. Bartholomew in Jeziorany. The church was subject to a thorough reconstruction ca. 1500. Most probably during this reconstruction the windows on the northern side of the nave body were added, which body was originally deprived of windows, and the porch on the eastern side was added. In 1622 the ossuary was added to the eastern façade of the church. In the 18th century a wooden tower from the West and a porch from the South. In an early modern period new, rectangular window openings were made and the former Gothic windows were bricked up.

Description

The church in Tłokowo is located in the centre of the village, by the road leading from the town of Jeziorany to Franknowo. Erected on a rectangular floor plan, Gothic, aiseless structure made of red brick on a stone foundation, with wooden tower added over the western porch on the facade axis. Nave body is covered with a saddle roof with ceramic tiles, the tower is covered with a tented roof. There are stepped-pinnacle eastern and western gables with pinnacles at an angle, accentuated with blind windows. Western gable has three storeys and is partly obscured by the tower. Eastern gable has four storeys and is accentuated with horizontal stripes of blind windows, with preserved fragments of carved tracery decoration. Ossuary adjoins the eastern façade, sacristy adjoins the northern façade and a porch adjoins the southern façade. Church facades are accentuated with double blind windows. In the eastern façade on the axis there is an additional bricked-up blind window. There are secondary, rectangular windows, two in the northern façade and three in the southern one. Pointed-arch portal fastened with rectangular niche is placed from the West. The interior is aiseless and covered with a ceiling. Inside the church there are Gothic wall paintings dating back to the 3rd quarter of the 15th century. Their themes include christologic scenes: Flagellation, Coronation with Thorns, Christ before Pilate. Apart from these the most important elements of interior fittings are: Baroque main altar of 1702 from the foundation of Stanisławscy with Sulim coat of arms, Renaissance side altar of the second half of the 16th century with Gothic sculptures of the first half of the 15th century and of the 16th century, and with representation of Virgin Mary with Infant Jesus and of St. John the Baptist.

The historical building is open to visitors. It may be visited upon prior telephone appointment.

Compiled by Maurycy Domino, 8.12.2014.



Bibliography

  • Chrzanowski T., Przewodnik po zabytkowych kościołach południowej Warmii, Olsztyn 1973, s. 101-104.
  • Dehio G., Gall E., Handbuch der Deutschen Kunstdenkmaeler, Nordostdeutschland, Bd. II, Berlin, 1906, s. 229.
  • Herrmann Ch., Mittelalterliche Architektur im Preussenland, Petersberg 2007, s. 574-575.
  • Loyal D., Sakrale Backsteigotik im Ermland. Eine bautopographische Untersuhung, Bonn 1995, s. 321.
  • Olkowska E., Kumorowicz M., Gotyckie malowidła ścienne o tematyce pasyjnej w kościele filialnym św. Jana Chrzciciela w Tłokowie, „Warmińsko - Mazurski Biuletyn Konserwatorski“ 2000, nr 2, s. 188-194.
  • Ullbrich A., Kunstgeschichte Ostpreussens von der Ordenszeit bis zur Gegenwart, Koenigsberg 1932, s. 24.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1370-1380
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Tłokowo
  • Location: Voivodeship warmińsko-mazurskie, district olsztyński, commune Jeziorany - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area