The complex of the Greek Catholic parish tserkva of the Nativity of Jesus Christ - Zabytek.pl
woj. lubelskie, pow. hrubieszowski, gm. Hrubieszów-gmina wiejska
The very first mentions of a tserkva in this location date back to 1531; a Greek Catholic parish is known to have existed from 1640 onwards, while the existing tserkva was erected in 1801, having most likely been preceded by a number of earlier, wooden structures. In 1870, the tserkva was taken over by the Orthodox Church; in 1920 it became a Roman Catholic church, having been reclaimed and reconsecrated in 1919; later on, during the occupation, the tserkva briefly became an Orthodox temple once again. Both the tserkva and its bell tower have undergone renovation works on a number of occasions, the works in question encompassing the replacement of both the wooden siding and the roof cladding.
The tserkva, along with the bell tower and the surrounding group of old trees, are located on a hill in the central part of the village, near the crossroads. The entire complex forms a picturesque, dominant feature which instantly defines the landscape.
The tserkva. The tserkva is oriented towards the east. Designed on a tripartite floor plan, it consists of a nave designed on a square floor plan, a narrower, rectangular chancel with a semi-hexagonal termination which matches the nave in height as well as a lower, square narthex whose width is equal to that of the nave. A sacristy, designed on a rectangular floor plan, abuts the northern wall of the chancel. The nave is topped with an eight-faced cupola with roof lantern, resting upon a tall, octagonal tholobate. The church is made of wooden logs and covered with weatherboards. Inside, the nave features a false domical ceiling, with a false barrel vault being used for the chancel. The narthex and the sacristy feature simple, flat ceilings. The façades are clad with weatherboards which are arranged horizontally in the lower side of the structure and vertically in the upper part thereof. The individual sections of the building feature separate roofs - the chancel and the narthex feature gable roofs, while the sacristy has a shed roof. A pronounced skirt roof protects the lower section of the wooden structure against the elements. All roofs are clad with sheet metal which replaces the original wood shingle cladding. Inside, visitors may admire 19th-century altarpieces with Classicist influences.
The bell tower was designed on a square floor plan as a two-storey structure with a tall upper storey in the form of a slender tholobate. The post-and-frame structure is clad with board and batten siding and features a decorative arcaded frieze beneath the eaves. The eight-faced cupola is clad with wood shingles, much like the skirt roof encircling the tower between the individual storeys.
Accessible historic building.
compiled by Bożena Stanek-Lebioda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 01-07-2014.
- Record sheet, Bell tower of the Greek Catholic parish tserkva of the Nativity of Jesus Christ (currently the Roman Catholic parish church of Our Lady of Graces). Szpikołosy, compiled by Seniuk B., Prusicka E., Studziński J., 1990, Archive of the Regional Office for the Protection of Historical Monuments in Lublin, Zamość branch; Archive of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warsaw.
- Górak J., Dawne cerkwie drewniane w województwie zamojskim, Zamość 1984, pp. 21-22.
- Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Vol. VIII: Województwo lubelskie, issue 6: Powiat hrubieszowski, compiled by Chrzanowski T., Kornecki M., Samek J., Warsaw 1964, pp. 51-52.
- Niedźwiedź E., Niedźwiedź J., Kalisz J., Panasiewicz J., Dzieje miejscowości gminy Hrubieszów, powiat hrubieszowski, Hrubieszów-Zamość 2010, pp. 166-167.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_06_BK.2909, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_06_BK.335988