Uniate cemetery, currently belonging to John the Baptist’s Decapitation Orthodox parish church, Szczyty-Dzięciołowo
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Uniate cemetery, currently belonging to John the Baptist’s Decapitation Orthodox parish church

Szczyty-Dzięciołowo

photo

One of the oldest functioning cemeteries in the Podlaskie Voivodeship. A burial place of persons related to the region, among others, owners of the Szczyty estate - Józef and Melania Wiewiórski. The oldest graves (mostly made of stone with cast iron and forged crucifixes) are examples of the local folk art. Along with a tserkva, a bell tower, a tserkva cemetery surrounded by a stone wall, a graveyard and a figure of Saint John of Nepomuk ascribed to Jan Chryzostom Redler, it represents a complex with great historic and landscape values.

History

The cemetery was established probably around 1785, along with the construction of the tserkva and the establishment of the Uniate parish. The oldest gravestone (according to various sources) dates back to 1800 or 1878. Since 1839, it has remained an Orthodox parish cemetery.

Description

The cemetery is located in the northern part of the village, on a hill, on the eastern side of the Orla-Krzywa road. It abuts on the tserkva cemetery in the south and east.

Established on an irregular plan, surrounded by a contemporary metal fence with four gates. Overgrown with trees: lime, maple, ash and pine. Irregular arrangement of paths.

Quite a few historic gravestones have survived. They mainly date back to the second half of the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century; most of them are located in the southern part of the cemetery, close to the tserkva. These are, among others, cast iron or forged openwork crucifixes settled on bases in the shape of a tall and slim pyramid or stele, characterised by raw processing and simple lettering. Some gravestones are surrounded by forged fencing.

Accessible historic monument.

compiled by Aneta Kułak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Bialystok, 17-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Sosna G., Fionik D., Szczyty - dzieje wsi i parafii, Bielsk Podlaski-Ryboły-Białystok 2005, s. 301-302.

General information

  • Type: Eastern rite cemetery
  • Chronology: ok. 1785 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Szczyty-Dzięciołowo
  • Location: Voivodeship podlaskie, district bielski, commune Orla
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area