A bell tower at the St John the Baptist’s Decapitation Orthodox church, Szczyty-Dzięciołowo
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

A bell tower at the St John the Baptist’s Decapitation Orthodox church

Szczyty-Dzięciołowo

photo

A feature with a proportional body and modest details, built in a technique typical for wooden folk architecture. Along with a tserkva, a tserkva cemetery surrounded by a stone wall, a graveyard and a figure of St John of Nepomuk ascribed to Jan Chryzostom Redler, it represents a complex with great historic and landscape values.

History

The bell tower was built in 1849 at the expense of the parish and the then governor of the parish, Karol Wiewiórski. In 1863, it was equipped with new bells. In 1878, shutters were added to bell openings. In 1961, a renovation was carried out: floors, stairs and wood shingles on the roof were replaced. In 2005, two new bells were hung.

Description

The monument, along with the tserkva, is located in the northern part of the village, on a hill, in the south-western corner of a tserkva cemetery surrounded by trees. Style: folk architecture.

The bell tower is built on a square plan, has two-storeys and is covered with a hip roof. Storeys are separated by eaves; the lower storey is wider. Eaves are boarded.

A wooden bell tower with a log structure, on a stone wall base. Roofs are covered with wood shingles. Corners boarded to form pilasters. Wooden window frames. Two-winged shutters made of planks.

The entrance is located on the north-east façade. On the rear façade (south-west) of the lower storey, there is a semi-circular window. On the upper storey, there are four bell openings in the shape of arcades, with shutters. The interior has a vestibule with stairs leading to the upper floor. A bell cast in 1909 was founded by Captain Magruk from Hołody village.

The monument can be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Aneta Kułak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Bialystok, 17-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Sosna G., Fionik D., Szczyty - dzieje wsi i parafii, Bielsk Podlask-Ryboły-Białystok 2005, s. 279-280, 282, 291-292, 298.
  • Sosna G., Troc-Sosna A., Cerkiewna własność ziemska na Białostocczyźnie w XV-XX wieku, Białystok 2004, s. 393-405.

General information

  • Type: belfry
  • Chronology: 1849 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Szczyty-Dzięciołowo
  • Location: Voivodeship podlaskie, district bielski, commune Orla
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area