Homestead No. 8 (house, gatehouse, livestock building, barn), Swołowo
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Homestead No. 8 (house, gatehouse, livestock building, barn)

Swołowo

photo

It is an example of a multi-building peasant homestead, typical for the area of the seaside strip near Słupsk. The homestead features an arrangement of buildings characteristic of the region: a compact quadrilateral, with a yard inside, a gatehouse in the front and a residential building in the back, as well as the traditional half-timbered structure of the buildings. Homestead No. 8 is one of between ten and twenty survived homesteads in Swołowo. They all create a unique landscape of a large radial village with a well-preserved spatial layout and a uniform half-timbered architectural form of buildings. Due to this form, the region is called “the checked land”.

History

Swołowo was mentioned in documents from 1240. Initially, the village was owned by the Order of Saint John, and then by the Pomeranian nobility: the von Below family in the 14th century, the Glasenapp family the 15th century, and the von Schwane family in the 17th century. In the 17th century, it became royal property. At that time, Swołowo was a large rent village of a radial spatial layout, with a church and 17 large agricultural farms, occupying an area of approx. 50 ha each. Homestead No. 8, from the 19th century to the end of World War II, belonged to the Albrecht family. At that time, it was comprised of a residential building, utility buildings, and a house with a small barn for workers. The current residential building was built in the mid- 19th century. The gatehouse and the livestock building come from the 2nd half of the 19th century. The former was converted in 1924, while the latter (a stable) in the early 20th century. The barn was erected in 1858, and extended in the late 19th century. The homestead houses the Museum of the Pomeranian Folk Culture in Swołowo, which is a branch of the Museum of Central Pomerania in Słupsk.

Description

Homestead No. 8 is located on the southern side of the radial village square, together with other similar homesteads. The buildings have been arranged in the form a compact quadrilateral, with a rectangular yard in the middle. Directly by the road, there is a gatehouse with its roof ridge parallel to the road. In the background, on the opposite side of the yard, there is a residential building, located parallelly to the gatehouse. On the east side of the yard there is a stable, and on the west side - a barn. The surface of the yard is paved. Deep within the plot, behind the house, there is a garden. Apart from the compact quadrilateral of the buildings, on the north-east side of the residential building there is a house for workers.

The residential building is a half-timbered structure with brick and wattle-and-daub infills, and is covered with plaster. The building, erected on a rectangular floor plan, has a wide front façade and a two-bay layout, with two halls: a front and a yard hall. It has a two-storey structure covered with a clipped-gable roof. There are rectangular door and window openings, with decorative wooden joinery. The front door are panelled, with carved decorations, and topped with a volute-shaped pediment. Windows have four wings and are framed with profiled surrounds, topped with wavy pediments in the windows of the ground floor. In the front façade, on the beam, there is an inscription: B.H.M.A. + B.M.L.A. [owner Michael Albrecht, builder L.A.]. A low brick cellar has been added to the back façade of the house.

The gatehouse has two storeys in its central part, and one storey on the sides. The ground floor of the central part is made of brick and has cast iron windows, like in livestock buildings. The first storey is a half-timbered structure. In the side sections of the building, there are two gateways with wooden doors. On the beam from the side of the yard there is the following inscription: B.H.G.A. 1924 B.M.C.Z. [owner Gerhard Albrecht, 1924, builder C.Z.].

The livestock building has two storeys. The ground floor is made of brick, and the first storey is a half-timbered structure. The building is covered with a gable roof. Along the first storey, there is a wooden gallery. Windows are cast iron, like in livestock buildings.

The barn, with a double barn-floor, is a half-timbered structure with brick and wattle-and-daub infills, and is covered with plaster. In the northern part of the building, there is a separated small brick livestock section. The building is covered with a gable roof. It has two wooden doors. Above one of them, there is a date: 1858.

The site is accessible to visitors. The homestead houses the Museum of the Pomeranian Folk Culture in Swołowo www.swolowo.pl

compiled by Beata Dygulska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Gdańsk, 24-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Świetlicka A., Wisławska E., Słownik historyczny miast i wsi województwa słupskiego, Słupsk 1998, s. 222
  • Drukowane materiały promocyjne oraz strona internetowa Muzeum Kultury Ludowej Pomorza w Swołowie www.swolowo.pl
  • Karty ewidencyjne zabytku architektury: Chałupa nr 8, opr. H. Soja, 1983, Archiwum NID; Budynek przejazdowy, zagroda nr 8, opr. H. Soja, 1983, Archiwum NID; Budynek inwentarski, zagroda nr 8, opr. H. Soja, 1983, Archiwum NID; Stodoła, zagroda nr 8, opr. H. Soja, 1983, Archiwum NID;

General information

  • Type: cottage
  • Chronology: poł. XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Swołowo 8
  • Location: Voivodeship pomorskie, district słupski, commune Słupsk - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area