Funkcja czasowo wyłączona. Zapraszamy wkrótce.

The All Saints cemetery tserkva, Suwałki
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The All Saints cemetery tserkva

Suwałki

photo

The tserkva represents a type of an Orthodox church that became popular in the current Podlaskie Voivodeship between the second half of the 19th century and 1915. It is a combination of a traditional, tripartite spatial planning of tserkvas with lavishly decorated façades, modelling upon the Russian wooden architecture. Diversified weatherboarding arrangements and numerous architectural details were used to decorate such temples. An additional artistic value of the tserkva is its fragmented, picturesque body.

History

The tserkva in Zarzecze Street in Suwałki was built in 1891 and consecrated a year later. Until 1940, it functioned as a cemetery chapel, and then, as a parish tserkva served by priests from neighbouring parishes. In 1956, it obtained a status of a parish temple of an independent Orthodox parish. It underwent renovation in the 1970s.

Description

The temple is situated in an Orthodox cemetery (in its south-east corner), neighbouring on an Evangelical cemetery in the north-east and with a Roman-Catholic cemetery in the north-west. Erected on a Greek cross floor plan with a rectangular vestibule in the front. The temple’s body is fragmented; it has a tower in the elevated central part, where the cross arms intertwine. A wooden temple with a log structure, on a tall, stone foundation, with decorative weatherboarding (ornaments in the form of lace cut in planks). Three arms of the building are covered with three-sloped roofs, whereas the front arm and the porch - with gable roof. The tower is quadrangular, with walls decorated by Orthodox crucifixes locked in pilasters, covered with a shed tower roof, crowned with a spire with a small, onion-like cupola resting on a polygonal segment. Lavishly decorated façades (weatherboarding, arrangement of corners, window headers and window sills, shutters). An iconostasis, side naves and altar are covered with a flat ceiling; the central part is covered with a cupola-like ceiling.

The monument can be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Iwona Górska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Bialystok, 20-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Kotyńska-Stetkiewicz J., Ryżewski G., Katalog zabytkowego budownictwa drewnianego. Architektura sakralna. Pow. augustowski, sejneński, suwalski. t. 1, Białystok 2005, s. 47-48.
  • G. Ryżewski, Drewniana architektura sakralna, [w:] Perły architektury województwa podlaskiego, Białystok-Bydgoszcz 2010, s. 27-28, il. s. 41.

General information

  • Type: tserkva
  • Chronology: 1891 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Zarzecze 6, Suwałki
  • Location: Voivodeship podlaskie, district Suwałki, commune Suwałki
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area