Studzieniec, filial Church of St Lawrence with a bell tower, Studzieniec
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Studzieniec, filial Church of St Lawrence with a bell tower

Studzieniec

photo

The church, built in the second half of the 13th century, and a wooden bell tower dating from 1752, are an important element in the spatial layout of Studzieniec. Although the church was altered several times over the centuries, and it has nevertheless retained its early Gothic architecture and Baroque interior. Studzieniec, filial Church of St Lawrence with a bell tower is one of the tourist attractions in the Kożuchów commune.

History

The church in Studzieniec was built in the second half of the 13th century (the first mention dates back to 1376). It was built of stone and bog iron in the early Gothic style. A presbytery represents its oldest part. In the 15th century a nave was added. In the 16th century a barrel vault covered with Renaissance wall paintings was made in the chancel. Next to the church there is a wooden bell tower dating from 1752, which replaced the previous one from the 15th century.

Description

The single-nave church with a chancel of the same width as the nave is closed off from the east on three sides. A rectangular sacristy adjoins the chancel from the north. The gable roof of the church is covered with shingles; the windows terminate in semi-circular arches. The outer walls feature 16th-century epitaphs. In the southern part there are two entrances topped with semicircular arches. The medieval door (from the 13th century) is equipped with decorative fittings. The interior of the church features a Baroque altar with a painting depicting Saint Lawrence. The fixtures and fittings include a baptismal font from around 1600 and a late-Renaissance ambo dating from the 18th century. The church underwent renovations in 1908 and 1957.

A bell tower in which a bell financed in 1495 was hung was built in the section to the west of the axis of the church. In 1752, alterations were made to the wooden bell tower. It was built on a square floor plan and features a post structure. The ground floor is made of brick and covered with boards. The walls taper towards the top; the tented roof is made of shingles and crowned with a sphere with a flag.

The filial church with a bell tower belongs to the parish of St Anthony in Nowa Sól. The church celebrates Masses. The feature is open to the public.

Compiled by Krzysztof Słowiński, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 08-07-2014 r.

Bibliography

  • Andrzejewski T. (red.), Kożuchów. Zarys dziejów, Kożuchów 2003, s. 273-274.
  • Andrzejewski T., Miejscowości Powiatu Nowosolskiego, Nowa Sól 2004, s. 204-206.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki województwa zielonogórskiego, Zielona Góra 1987, s. 190.
  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 2, Zielona Góra 2012, s. 278-279.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 359-360.
  • Ważny T., Analiza dendrochronologiczna kościoła św. Wawrzyńca w Studzieńcu, [w:] Lubuskie Materiały Konserwatorskie 2006-2007, t. 4, Zielona Góra 2007, s. 38-41.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: II poł. XIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Studzieniec
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district nowosolski, commune Kożuchów - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area