Filial Church of St. Anthony (formerly St. Lawrence's Church), Strzelniki
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Filial Church of St. Anthony (formerly St. Lawrence's Church)

Strzelniki

photo

The church features one of the most interesting groups of Gothic wall paintings, part of which was made by fifteenth-century painter unknown by name and called the Master of the Brzeg Adoration of the Magi, author of the murals, among others, in Pogorzela and Krzyżowice.

History

The origin of the church goes back to the late 13th century. In 1534, the church became evangelical (and continued to be evangelical until 1945). In the second half of the 17th century, the nave underwent upward extension, and the roof ridge was lowered. Then, the tower was also extended upwards. From the mid-14th to 16th century, the interior was covered with painted decorations made in four stages: paintings on the lower part of the eastern wall of the chancel around the mid-14th century, paintings on the upper part of that wall in 1418-1428, murals in the nave in the second quarter of the 15th century and in the porch in the first third of the 16th century. In the second half of the 16th century, probably due to the takeover of the church by Protestants, the paintings were covered with plaster. The first fragment was uncovered before 1935. The next ones were revealed and preserved in 1958-1978. After World War 2, the church was included in the parish of St. John the Baptist in Łosiowo. Currently, the church is dedicated to St. Anthony.

Description

The early Gothic church is surrounded by a brick and stone wall. Built of brick and buttressed, it consists of a nave with a porch to the south, separate chancel with a northern sacristy, and tower. It is covered with gable roofs (the façade of the tower bears traces of the nave roof before reconstruction); the tower is surmounted by a cupola with a lantern. The two-bay nave is covered with a ceiling, while the chancel is topped with a ribbed groin vault (on one of the brackets there is a barely discernible mask), and the sacristy features a barrel vault. The door to the sacristy are characterised by decorative fittings and bear the date "1658". Interior: The walls and vault of the chancel are covered with murals. The fragment of the oldest murals is in the chancel, around the tabernacle on the east wall, and is composed of four quarters with scenes: Arma Christi, Jesus in the Temple, Pentecost (?) and Transfiguration (?). On the same wall, there is, among others, a later scene of Martyrdom of Saint Lawrence. Murals on the northern and southern walls depict the Passion and Adoration of the Magi. The ceiling features the repainted symbols of the evangelists. The nave is covered with scenes of Passion stories, Old Testament stories, and lives of saints.

The church is in use and is open to visitors.

compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 01-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Banik J., Działalność fundacyjna Panów z Pogorzeli na Śląsku w XIII i XIV w. Fundacje kościelne (Monument), Warsaw 2009.
  • Architectural monument record sheet, prepared by W. Żurakowski, bd., Archives of the Voivodeship Monuments Protection Office in Opole.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. VII: Województwo opolskie, T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki (eds.), issue 1: Powiat brzeski, inventory prepared by T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, M. Zlat, Warsaw 1961.
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, Bd. 2: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Landkreis Reg.-Bezirks Breslau, Breslau 1889.
  • Malarstwo gotyckie w Polsce (Dzieje Sztuki Polskiej, vol. II., part 3), S. Labuda, K. Secomska (eds.), Warsaw 2004.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, collective work, Warsaw 2006.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: koniec XIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Strzelniki
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district brzeski, commune Lewin Brzeski - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area