Parish Church of Saint Jadwiga, Staw
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of Saint Jadwiga

Staw

photo

The Church of Saint Jadwiga is an example of a building having a log structure covered with weatherboards and reinforced with vertical supports. It is an example of a rural wooden church typical of this region.

History

The Parish of St Jadwiga of Silesia in Staw is one of the 7 parishes forming the Strzałkowo Deanery. The first written mention of the village comes form 1271. A local parish was established in c. 1320. The present wooden church was erected in 1780 on a site formerly occupied by a church which was mentioned in written sources in the late 14th century. In 1854, a tower was built onto the west wall of the church. In the late 19th century, a brick chapel of the Lutomski family was built onto the north wall of the nave. The church underwent restoration in the inter-war period. The tower was renovated in 2002.

Description

Staw is a small village in the Strzałkowo Commune, located approx. 8 km to the north-west of Słupca. The Church of St Jadwiga is situated on a small hill in the western part of the village, on the south side of a road connecting Chwałkowice and Wólka. The church is surrounded by a former graveyard enclosed with a cobblestone wall. The church yard can be accessed by steps located to the north-east and north-west of the church. The church is oriented towards the east. It has a wooden log structure reinforced with vertical supports and covered with weatherboards. It has one nave (with no aisles). The chancel terminates in a semi-hexagon. The nave is adjoined by a brick chapel of the Lutomski family on the north side and a porch on the south side. The tower, having a post-and-beam structure and topped with a four-pitched roof with a lantern, adjoins the nave on the west side. The sacristy adjoins the north wall of the chancel. The two-ridge gable roof is covered with sheet metal; the chapel is covered with roof tiles. There is a steeple above the nave. Inside, there is a flat ceiling. The chapel has a groin vault. The door is located on the west side; it features a Rococo cartouche and the date “1854”. The church fittings deserve particular attention. The Late-Renaissance main altar incorporates a crucifix from the late 17th and early 18th century and Baroque sculptures of bishops and angels; its top section, altar stone, and side decorations are in the Rococo style. The two Rococo side altars are adorned with sculptures of angels and paintings of St Jadwiga (from the early 19th century) and St Michael (from the 18th century). In the chapel, there is a Late-Renaissance altar from the beginning of the 17th century; on the wall, there is a gravestone of Izydor Łukomski, who died in battle in 1848. There is also a Rococo baptismal font, decorated with a sculpture of a pelican in a nest, and two Gothic stone stoups. The two stained-glass windows in the nave, made by Maria Powalisz-Bardoński in the late 1970s, are particularly notable. To the east of the church, there is a wooden bell tower having a post-and-beam structure resting on a brick wall base, covered with a hip roof.

The church may be visited from the outside. Holy Masses: Sunday at 11.00 AM and 16.00 PM; weekdays: 17.00 PM; holy days suppressed of obligation or transferred to another day: 10.00 AM, 17.00 PM.

compiled by Beata Marzęta, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 23-11-2015.

Bibliography

  • Brykowski R., Wielkopolskie Kościoły Drewniane, Poznań 2001; str. 176.
  • Drewniane Kościoły w Wielkopolsce , red. Maluśkiewicz P., Poznań 2004; str. 250
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. V: Województwo poznańskie, z. 22: Powiat słupecki, oprac. T. Ruszczyńska, A. Sławska, Warszawa 1960, s. 19-20
  • Wielkopolska Słownik Krajoznawczy, Poznań 2002, s. 179
  • Maluśkiewicz P., Województwo konińskie, Warszawa-Poznań 1983, s. 293-294
  • Maluśkiewicz P., Ziemia konińska, przewodnik turystyczny, Konin 2002, s. 151
  • Nowak A. C., Słupca - Pyzdry - Zagórów, Poznań 1987, 35

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1780 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Staw
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district słupecki, commune Strzałkowo
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area