Evangelical church of the Holiest Trinity, Stare Jaroszowice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Evangelical church of the Holiest Trinity

Stare Jaroszowice

photo

The church is an example of a Historicist structure bearing the hallmarks of the so-called rundbogenstil (round-arch style) of the predominantly neo-Romanesque variety, designed by a local architect Engelhardt Gansel. Its compact and harmonious silhouette showcases the outstanding artistic abilities of its designer, successfully incorporating numerous references to the work of eminent Berlin architects of the first half of the 19th century, especially those influenced by Friedrich August Stüler. Today, however, the church remains in a state of ruin.

History

The church was erected in the years 1842-1844, replacing an earlier, timber-framed structure. The design is attributed to Engelhardt Gansel, an architect from Bolesławiec who also oversaw the initial stages of the construction process. The most recent renovation works took place in 1855. From the second half of the 20th century, the church remains abandoned and is now in a state of ruin.

Description

The church is located in the northern part of the village, at the top of a hill situated on the eastern side of the main road leading from Chmielno to Bolesławiec. It is a three-nave building oriented towards the east, designed on a rectangular floor plan and featuring a pentagonal apse facing the south as well as a square tower positioned on the western side of the building, on its middle axis. The church is made of brick and stone and features a cuboid, two-storey main body with a gable roof clad with ceramic tiles. The apse is covered with a multi-pitched roof with a short ridge. The three-storey tower was originally topped with a tall spire. The two-storey, cuboid main body features a pseudo-transept in the eastern section, with the massive lower section of the tower body in the west housing the staircases leading up into the tower itself.

The façades are made of ashlar blocks and accentuated with lesenes. An arcaded frieze runs beneath the narrow, profiled crowning cornice adorning the side façades as well as the apse. The windows of the main body are arranged in two stacked rows. The upper row features large, slender windows topped with semi-circular arches, resting upon a common cornice and framed with stepped surrounds. The windows forming the lower row are similarly disposed, albeit smaller than the upper ones. Both the pseudo-transept and the westwork of the church feature small, paired arched windows separated by quadrangular mullions and featuring no decorative surrounds or other design flourishes save for the pronounced window sills. The tower features bipartite mullioned windows as well as rose windows. The main, western entrance is positioned on the axis of the tower and originally featured a semi-circular portal made of stone which has since been lost. A foundation plaque is visible above the entrance. The interior is partitioned with arcades supported by octagonal pillars, marking the boundary between the nave and the side aisles. The side aisles used to house single-storey galleries accessible from the two identical side staircases in the western part of the church; these, however, are no longer extant. The church is in a state of ruin.

Next to the church stands an obelisk dedicated to Emperor William I as well as to the soldiers who died during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-1871. East of the building stretches an old, abandoned Evangelical cemetery, while the former pastor’s house can be found south of the church.

The site is open to visitors.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 04-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 7 Pogórze Kaczawskie, M. Staffa (ed.), Wrocław 2002, pp. 549-550

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1 poł. XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Stare Jaroszowice
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district bolesławiecki, commune Bolesławiec
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area