Evangelical church, currently Roman Catholic parish church of Blessed Szymon of Lipnica, Stare Drzewce
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Evangelical church, currently Roman Catholic parish church of Blessed Szymon of Lipnica

Stare Drzewce

photo

The church belongs to the small group of so-called border churches intended for the persecuted Protestants from Silesia. It has an interesting form in which relics of a Gothic building and the alterations from the 18th century are visible.

History

The oldest mentions referring to the parish come from 1376, when Drzewce was transferred from the diocese of Poznań to the diocese of Wrocław. The first church, probably wooden, was erected in the 14th or the 15th century; the next one was built of brick by Evangelicals in 1599. For a long time the church was a so-called border church, used, among others, by persecuted Protestants from Silesia. The inflow of people resulted in a need to extend the building. In 1738, works consisting in widening the building and extending it upwards were completed. A new southern wall on a timber frame was built at that time, as well as the second storey of the galleries. In 1930, the wooden structure was renovated. After World War II, the church was taken over by Catholics, and it was consecrated on 1-09-1946. In the years 1955-56, the galleries were shortened and their upper storey was dismantled, and in the years 1986-1989 external plasterwork was repaired, the interior was painted and the altar underwent renovation.

Description

The church is located in the central part of the village, on the southern side of the road from Krzepielów to Wschowa. With the Catholic (until 1945 - Evangelical) cemetery stretching on the south and the figure of Blessed Virgin Mary Immaculate by the eastern façade, it constitutes an interesting sacred complex. From the east, it neighbours a park belonging to an extensive complex comprised of a manor house, park and a manor farm.

The church is an oriented building, built on an irregular floor plan of consisting of the rectangles of the main body, tower on the west, sacristy on the north, and porch and vestibule. The dominating feature of the church body is formed by a cuboid, buttressed tower topped with a bulbous tented roof with a lantern and a flag finial presenting the date “1781”. The high, three-storey nave is covered with a mansard roof, and single-storey annexes are mostly topped by gable roofs.

The church is made of brick except for the nave wall which is a timber frame structure with brick infills. The façades are plastered, with wooden elements visible. The northern wall and part of the eastern wall of the main body are pierced with windows with segmental arches, situated in deep niches. Window openings of the tower are narrower and topped with segmental arches, too. Other windows are rectangular.

The interior is covered with a false cloister vault passing into a flat ceiling and illuminated through three storeys of windows. The surviving elements include the lower level of galleries by the western wall and to the mid-height of the northern and southern walls. The fittings, which are mainly Baroque, include an altarpiece from the 18th century, baptismal font, confessional, and pulpit from 1732, as well as epitaph plaques.

The building is available all year round and may be visited upon prior appointment.

compiled by Anna Jackiewicz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 24-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 2: Powiaty: żarski - żagański - nowosolski - wschowski, Zielona Góra 2012, s. 330.
  • Szymańska - Dereń M., Kościoły zrębowe i szkieletowe województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2009, s. 116-119.
  • Karta ewidencyjna, Kościół filialny pw. bł. Szymona z Lipnicy, oprac. K. Wacławska, 1994, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Zielonej Górze

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1599 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Stare Drzewce
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district wschowski, commune Szlichtyngowa - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area