Catholic Chapel of St Jerome, Sompolno
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Catholic Chapel of St Jerome

Sompolno

photo

The wooden Chapel of St Jerome “In the Wilderness” in Sompolno is an example of a simple, small, wooden church typical of Greater Poland, founded by the Catholic Church during the period of the First Polish Republic.

History

The village of Sompolno was mentioned in written records for the first time in 1242. In 1447, the neighbouring Dębno was granted municipal rights. Its name was derived from the coat of arms of its founder — Jakub of Sienno, Archbishop of Gniezno. In 1526, the town was already referred to as “Sompolno”. The town was deprived of its municipal rights by Russian authorities in 1870; it only won them back in 1973. The chapel was built in 1732 owing to the efforts of Rev. Stefan Kiełczyński. It was renovated in the years 1867, 1986, and 1998.

Description

The Chapel of St Jerome “In the Wilderness” is situated within the area of a former Roman Catholic cemetery, in a small forest to the south of the town of Sompolno. The building has a floor plan in the shape of an elongated octagon. It has a wooden log structure. The walls are covered with weatherboards. The chapel is oriented towards the east. It has no aisles and no chancel. It is adjoined by a rectangular porch on the west side. The chapel is covered with a one-ridge, octagonal, sheet metal roof surmounted by a steeple. Inside, there is a flat ceiling. The cemetery surrounding the chapel contains old graves from the late 19th century and early 20th century.

The chapel may only be visited from the outside.

compiled by Tomasz Łuczak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 16-11-2015.

Bibliography

  • Diecezja włocławska 2000, red. W. Frątczak, W. Kujawski, A. Poniński, K. Rulka, L. Urbański, Włocławek 2001, s. 527.
  • Kaplica „Na puszczy” pw. św. Hieronima w Sompolnie, Karta ewidencji zabytków architektury i budownictwa, ze zbiorów WUOZ w Poznaniu - Delegatura w Koninie
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. 5, Woj. wielkopolskie, red. Teresa Ruszczyńska, Aniela Sławska, z. 8, Pow. kolski, opr. J. Rutkowska, Warszawa 1960, s. 23.
  • Kościoły drewniane w Wielkopolsce, red. Mariusz Grzebalski, Poznań 2004, s. 243.
  • Piotr Maluśkiewicz, Województwo konińskie. Szkic monograficzny, Warszawa-Poznań 1983, s. 285-288.
  • Piotr Maluśkiewicz, Ziemia konińska. Przewodnik turystyczny, Konin 2002, s. 147-148.
  • Wielkopolska. Słownik krajoznawczy, red. Łęcki Włodzimierz, Poznań 2002, s. 334.
  • http://kosciolydrewniane.pl - odsłona z listopada 2015 r.

General information

  • Type: chapel
  • Chronology: 1732 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Sompolno
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district koniński, commune Sompolno - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area