Church of St Leonard, Słupca
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Church of St Leonard

Słupca

photo

The church of St Leonard in Słupca is an interesting example of 16th century wooden sacral architecture in Greater Poland. The church is the more valuable for its preserved, 18th century painted decorations and precious fittings - in particular a Gothic crucifix from 1500.

History

The parish church of St Leonard in Słupca which dates back to at least the 14th century, was originally mentioned as a hospital. Until 1990, it was a filial church, on 22 June 1990 bishop Muszyński founded a parish of St Leonard. The current building was probably constructed in the 16th century, restored in 1730, 1877, and 1930. It was extended in 1765 with two chapels and a tower.

Description

The Church of the Assumption of the BVM and St Leonard in Słupca is situated in open area, on a large plot at the junction of Sienkiewicza and Słowackiego Streets. The wooden church was constructed on a stone and brick foundation on the basis of a log structure, covered with weatherboards and oriented. The single-nave corps de logis with a narrower and lower presbytery, a polygonal termination from the east, and a tower of a post-and-beam construction from the west, is covered with a gable roof with pronounced eaves. The tower is covered with a hip roof. By the nave, there are two chapels - Chapel of Holy Cross from the south, Chapel of St Leonard from the north adjoined by a sacristy from the east. The uniform building has a roof covered with wood shingles. Two symmetrical chapels which were most probably added in 1765, form a cross plan together with the nave and presbytery. Inside there are ceilings and walls covered with valuable painted decorations from the 1st half of the 18th century. On the ceiling of the nave, there are images related to the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary, on the walls of the presbytery and the nave, there are paintings of the apostles, scenes from the Massacre of the Innocents, and the Legend of the St Leonard (in the Chapel of St Leonard). Another notable feature are the doors to the sacristy with an image of Archangel Michael killing the dragon. In the church, there are also valuable fittings - a late Renaissance main altar from the beginning of the 17th century with a relief of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and a sculpture of St Leonard and John the Baptist. The wings and the frame come from the early 18th century. In the St Leonard’s chapel, there is a Baroque altarpiece from the beginning of the 18th century with a Gothic painting of St Leonard from around 1430. In the Chapel of Holy Cross, there is a Baroque altarpiece from around the half of the 18th century with a Gothic crucifix from approx. 1500, which is a relic of the Holy Cross Sanctuary located in the church.

The church may be visited during mass: www.leonardslupca.pl.

compiled by Beata Marzęta, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 31.10.2014.

Bibliography

  • Kościoły drewniane Wielkopolski, Poznań 2004
  • Dzieje Słupcy, Poznań 1996,
  • Sanktuarium św. Krzyża w Słupcy, Konin 2001

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XVI w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Słupca
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district słupecki, commune Słupca (gm. miejska)
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area