The tomb chapel of St Rosalia - Zabytek.pl
woj. wielkopolskie, pow. gnieźnieński, gm. Kiszkowo-gmina wiejska
The chapel is one of the structures found along the “Trail of Wooden Churches Around the Zielonka Forest”.
The first mentions of the Sławno parish date back to 1348. The first church to be erected here - the parish church of St Nicholas - was built somewhere around the mid- 18th century, at the initiative of Aleksander Łubieński, the castellan of Gniezno. The church was destroyed by fire in 1803 and rebuilt in 1844.
The tomb chapel of St Rosalia in Sławno was erected in 1785 in the parish cemetery located on the site of an ancient conical hillfort. It was founded by reverend Józef Sztolzman, who was later buried in the crypt concealed beneath the chancel. The main altarpiece incorporating an image of St Rosalia was created that same year. The chapel underwent two series of renovation works - in 1930 and in 1980; during the works in question, its roof was reconstructed, with the original slate roof cladding being replaced with wood shingles. In addition, the outer walls of the chapel were repainted.
The tomb chapel of St Rosalia is located in the eastern part of the village, in the parish cemetery established somewhere around the mid- 19th century on the site of the former conical hillfort, surrounded by a wooded area. The earliest surviving headstone in the cemetery dates back to 1857.
The chapel is oriented towards the east; designed on a rectangular floor plan, it features a narrower, elongated chancel with a semi-hexagonal termination. The structure is preceded by a lower porch adjoining it towards the west, surmounted by a tall tower designed on a square floor plan. Beneath the nave lies the crypt of the Chełmnicki family, who were the last private owners of the village of Sławno, while another crypt containing the mortal remains of the building’s benefactor - reverend Józef Sztolzman - is located underneath the chancel. The main body of the chapel is covered with a gable roof; the chancel has a multi-faceted roof, while a double-pitched roof is used for the porch. The tower rising above the porch features a bulbous cupola with a roof lantern at the top. All roof planes and the cupola are covered with wood shingles.
The building is made of wooden logs, while the tower is a post-and-beam structure. The walls are covered with vertically-positioned weatherboards. The door and window openings are rectangular in shape and framed by decorative wooden surrounds.
The interior follows a single-nave layout and features a simple wooden ceiling, divided into rectangular panels. The upper sections of the walls, thee ceiling above the nave and the chancel as well as the rood beam are all adorned with painted decorations in the form of festoons and rosettes. Inside the chancel stands a wooden main altarpiece incorporating the painting of St Rosalia. The simple wooden altarpieces flanking the chancel feature the figures of the Blessed Virgin Mary (northern altarpiece) and St Theresa (southern altarpiece). In the middle of the rood beam stands a sculpture of St Barbara, flanked by two semi-reclining putti, supported by skulls and holding hourglasses in their hands.
Limited access to the historic building. The chapel is owned by the parish of St Nicholas in Sławno. More information can be found at
http://www.archidiecezja.pl/parafie/dekanaty/dekanat_kiszkowski/slawno_par._pw._sw._mikolaja.html (last accessed: 16-10-2014 r.)
compiled by Anna Dyszkant, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 16-10-2014.
- Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. V: Województwo poznańskie, z. 3: Powiat gnieźnieński, oprac. Ruszczyńska Teresa, Sławska Aniela, Warszawa 1963, s. 84.
- Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, oprac. Maluśkiewicz P., Poznań 2004, s. 232
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.164096, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_BK.48084