Parish Church of All Saints, Siennów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Parish Church of All Saints

Siennów

photo

The church in Siennów is an example of a modest one-nave wooden sacred building from the second half of the 17th century. It also belongs to a small group of wooden churches with masonry sacristies that could serve defensive functions.

History

The Roman Catholic parish in Siennów was founded in 1390. In the second half of the 16th century, the first church was converted into a Protestant church, and in 1637 it was returned to Catholics. The currently existing church was founded by the owners of the village, Maria Ożarowska, in 1776. The church underwent renovation in 1812 and 1841. The outer walls of the church were once surrounded by cloister-like walkways, whose traces where discovered on the southern and eastern wall of the chancel in 1999. The arcades were dismantled probably during the renovation in 1869. During that time, the church was also extended by adding a porch to the nave to the west. During the renovation of the church in the 1970s, the old choir parapet was replaced with a new one. In August 1999, a monumental oak collapsed on the church, damaging the chancel and the sacristy. The log walls of the church were inclined by about 1 m from the vertical and shifted on the foundation. Renovation work on the structure was also carried out in 1999 (the work involved, among others, reconstruction of the roof truss, ceiling and masonry gable of the sacristy, replacement of the wall cladding with a new one, replacement of the ceramic roof tiles on the sacristy roof with wood shingles).

Description

The church is situated on a small hill in the south part of the village, about 50 m west of the road running through the village. Right next to the church, to the east there is a masonry screen belfry, and at a distance of about 25 m to the north-west there is a large building of the new masonry church. The chancel of the wooden church faces the north-east. The building consists of a rectangular chancel closed off on three sides and a slightly wider rectangular nave with a porch not separated in the interior layout. A sacristy on a nearly square floor plan adjoins the chancel to the north. The body of the church is compact and divided into three distinct components: chancel with the nave, which are covered with a gable roof, a much lower porch covered with a gable roof and a sacristy covered with a shed roof as an extension to the roof plane over the chancel. In the roof ridge, there is a small square steeple turret. The church is a wooden building supported on a log structure. The sacristy adjoining the chancel is built of brick, plastered and has a basement. The outer and inner walls of the nave and the chancel were reinforced with clamps. All log walls and roofs are clad with wood shingles; the western gables of the nave and porch are covered with vertically positioned weatherboards. The entrance to the nave from the south is surmounted by a semi-conical wood shingle roof. The windows in the nave and the chancel are rectangular, topped with segmental arches; the porch is fitted with two semicircular windows. The interior features the main altar and side altars from the second half of the 18th century, and baptismal font from around the mid-18th century.

Limited access to the monument. Viewing of the interior is only possible by prior telephone arrangement.

compiled by Ryszard Kwolek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Rzeszów, 04-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Czuba M., Kościół parafialny pw. Wszystkich Świętych w Siennowie. Historia i teraźniejszość, [in:] Rzeszowska Teka Konserwatorska, vol. 2, Rzeszów 2000
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce. Województwo rzeszowskie, powiat przeworski, prepared by M. Lemańska-Trepińska, bd, typescript available at the Archives of the National Heritage Board of Poland, Regional Branch in Rzeszów
  • Szlak Architektury Drenianej, typescript, 2003, A. Fortuna-Marek, J. Giemza, R. Kwolek, J. Mazur, Archives of the National Heritage Board of Poland, Regional Branch in Rzeszów
  • Wolski K., Nieistniejące dwory z okolic Jarosławia (część druga), [in:] Rzeszowska Teka Konserwatorska, vol. 2, Rzeszów 2000.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1676 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Siennów
  • Location: Voivodeship podkarpackie, district przeworski, commune Zarzecze
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area