The Uniate parish tserkva, currently the St George Orthodox parish tserkva, Siemianówka
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The Uniate parish tserkva, currently the St George Orthodox parish tserkva

Siemianówka

photo

One of the very few Baroque central tserkvas in the Podlaskie Voivodeship. A feature with an interesting body and balanced detail, characteristic for late Baroque.

History

The structure erected most probably in the first half of the 18th century by Tomasz Węgierski as a Uniate tserkva. After 1789 - under the administration of Jan Walenty Węgierski, and then - of Ludwik Bieliński. From 1839 onwards — Orthodox. Initially, the tserkva belonged to the Lewkowo parish, and after 1869, it was included in the Narewka parish. The parish in Siemianówka was founded in 1957. In 1967, a vestibule and a bell tower were added to the tserkva. In 1972, the interior was renovated: an iconostasis was placed inside and wall paintings were laid on internal walls.

Description

The tserkva is located in the northern part of the village, on the Siemianówka pond shore, within the nearby cemetery enclosed by a wall. The presbytery is oriented northwards. It is an example of Baroque architecture.

Founded on a four-leaf plan, with a square, two-storey bell tower added in the front and with access to the nave body through a narrow link. The nave body covered with a cone-like roof, a bell tower with a tent roof and a link with a gable roof. The corpus and bell tower are crowned with small onion-like cupolas on gorges.

The tserkva is made of brick and stone, plastered on the inside and on the outside and covered by galvanised sheet metal. Window and door frames, ceiling, floor and stairs - wooden, string.

Façade of the nave body is surrounded by simplified entablature with a profiled cornice. There are small windows with an elongated oval shape in conchas. In the bell tower, there are narrow rectangular window openings on the lower storey and narrow windows with semicircular arches on the upper. The entrance opening is semi-circularly locked.

The interior of the main body was partitioned by Tuscan pilasters resting on a smooth plinth, carrying the entablature with a profiled cornice. The choir gallery in a form of a balcony stretched over the entrance, restricted by a balustrade. The interior covered with figural and ornamental wall paintings by Józef Łotowski. A wooden, eclectic iconostasis, designed by Michał Wojtkiewicz.

Site accessible to visitors.

compiled by Aneta Kułak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Bialystok, 30-09-2014.

Bibliography

  • Sosna G., Troc-Sosna A., Cerkiewna własność ziemska na Białostocczyźnie w XV-XX wieku, Białystok 2004, str. 383-386.
  • Karta ewidencyjna, Cerkiew grecko-kat., ob. prawosławna paraf. pw. św. Jerzego w Siemianówce, oprac. Tołłoczko J., 2000, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Białymstoku oraz Archiwum Narodowego Instytutu Dziedzictwa w Warszawie.

General information

  • Type: tserkva
  • Chronology: lata 80. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Siemianówka
  • Location: Voivodeship podlaskie, district hajnowski, commune Narewka
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area