Parish Church of St Nicholas, Siedlęcin
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of St Nicholas

Siedlęcin

photo

A rural church constructed in several stages, originally erected during the first half of the 14th century and subsequently redesigned in the early 16th century. Even after that, the church underwent alteration works on numerous occasions, including in the 17th and 18th centuries. The church is surrounded by a cemetery circumscribed by a stone wall with a small gate.

History

The first mentions of the church date back to 1399, with the church being erected back in the second half of the 14th century. Its current form, however, is the result of a redesign which took place in the early 16th century, when the tower was added. In the 17th century, the nave received its flat, decorative ceiling, while the chapel and the vestibule were added in 1700 and 1915 espectively. Renovation works were carried out in 1958, 1970 and in the years 1977-1980.

Description

The church is situated on the top of the hill, in the heart of the village, on the western side of the local road. It is surrounded by an old cemetery. It is a Gothic structure oriented towards the east, with its individual sections being clustered around its single nave in an additive fashion. The church is made of stone with brick elements. The body of the church consists of the three-bay nave designed on a rectangular floor plan as well as of a narrower, rectangular two-bay chancel. A massive tower designed on a square floor plan adjoins the church to the west, positioned on the middle axis of the nave; it is crowned with a bulbous Baroque Revival cupola. A small porch and a chapel annex adjoin the nave to the south and the north respectively, the latter being positioned next to the low sacristy which adjoins the chancel. The main body as well as the chancel are both covered with tall gable roofs; the chapel, the porch and the sacristy feature a three-sloped roof, a tented roof and a shed roof respectively. The façades feature a plaster finish, with corners accentuated with stone quoins; other decorative features of the façades include several embedded epitaph plaques as well as the figures of St Florian and St Leonard. The walls of the nave and the chancel feature three pointed-arch portals, two of which come equipped with wooden doors adorned by iron fittings. The windows vary in size and proportions and are all topped with semicircular arches. The nave features a flat ceiling, while the chancel boasts a groin vault. The lavishly appointed interior contains many period fixtures and fittings, including the Baroque main altarpiece (1696), the 18th-century pipe organ casing positioned on an organ gallery from the same period as well as a wooden, polychromed pulpit and baptismal font from the 18th century and the crucifix in the chapel dating back to somewhere around the year 1500.

The church is accessible to visitors and may be visited during church service. For more information, please contact the parish office.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wroclaw, 05-11-2014

Bibliography

  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 4 Kotlina Jeleniogórska, M. Staffa (ed.), Wrocław 1999, pp. 402-404.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 769.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1 poł. XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Siedlęcin
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district jeleniogórski, commune Jeżów Sudecki
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area