The parish Church of St Catherine of Alexandria, Rybnica
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The parish Church of St Catherine of Alexandria

Rybnica

photo

An old rural church which has experienced a multitude of different design phases throughout its existence; first erected as an Early Gothic building during the fourth quarter of the 13th century, it was subsequently modified in the 15th century and extended in the early 16th century. The church is surrounded by a cemetery circumscribed by a stone wall.

History

The first mentions of the church date back to 1369, with the church being erected back in the fourth quarter of the 13th century. The chancel received its vaulted ceiling in the first half of the 15th century. A tower and a sacristy were added in the early 16th century. The church underwent restoration works in the 18th century as well as in 1913 (when the tower cupola was added); more recently, renovation works were conducted in years 1963-1970, 1975-1979, 1997 as well as 2012.

Description

The church is situated on a small hill, to the south of the village, in the middle of an old cemetery. It is an Early Gothic structure oriented towards the east, with its individual sections being clustered around its single nave. The church is made of split stone with some brick additions. The building consists of the nave designed on a rectangular floor plan as well as of a narrower, two-bay rectangular chancel with buttressed northern wall; both sections of the church feature gable roofs. A massive tower designed on a square floor plan adjoins the church to the west; it is crowned with a tall Baroque Revival cupola with a two-tier gallery. A sacristy annex covered with a separate shed roof adjoins the chancel to the south. The northern wall of the nave is pierced with the main entrance, framed with a pointed-arch portal. The windows vary in size and are all topped with semicircular arches. The chancel features a cross-rib vault supported by semi-circular shafts (bottels) attached to the wall. The fixtures and fittings of the church include a Late Baroque wooden main altarpiece from the 18th century, a Gothic tabernacle made of stone as well as a 15th-century baptismal font and a Classicist pipe organ casing.

The church is accessible to visitors and may be visited during church service. For more information, please contact the parish office.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 05-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 4 Kotlina Jeleniogórska, M. Staffa (ed.), Wrocław 1999, pp. 394-396.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 753.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 4 ćw. XIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Rybnica
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district jeleniogórski, commune Stara Kamienica
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area