Parish Church of the Holy Trinity, Rudziczka
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of the Holy Trinity

Rudziczka

photo

The church is built on an unusual ellipse-shaped plan.

History

The parish in Rudziczka was founded in the 13th/14th century. In administrative terms, it belonged to the diocese of Wrocław. The church was first mentioned in written records in 1337. From 1555, it was in the hands of Protestants. In 1582, a new church was built on the site formerly occupied by the Catholic church.

The present church in Rudziczka was built in Classicist style in 1801-1803. The foundation stone was laid to celebrate the beginning of its construction on 1 June 1801. The construction was initiated by dean and parish priest Thomas Graber. The church was consecrated by Melchior von Diepenbrock, Prince-Bishop of Wrocław, who visited Rudziczka in 1850. In 1863, the floor made of crushed stone and brick was replaced with a marble one decorated with floral motifs; in 1868 a new organ was installed; in 1888 Odrusch of Głubczyce made a new pulpit (last renovation in 1993); in 1892 new stained glass windows depicting the patrons of the neighbouring churches of St. Anne (patroness of Niemysłowice) and St. George (patron of Mieszkowice) were installed. The present church tower was erected in 1935.

Description

The Church of the Holy Trinity in Rudziczka is situated on a hill by a road in the centre of the village. Beside the church, there is a cemetery with nineteenth-century gravestones. The church was built on a ellipse-shaped plan as a building oriented towards the east, with a quadrangular tower with turrets to the west and rectangular annexes, which house a sacristy (to the north) and a port with galleries on the upper storey (to the south). The main body of the church is covered with a distinctive roof at the base on an ellipse-shaped plan and with an arched roof ridge descending to the base itself. The three-storey tower is divided by cornices and topped with an attic. Annexes which are slightly lower than the main body are covered with saddle roofs with a roof ridge perpendicular to the main body. The structure is built of brick, plastered, with façades articulated with segmental-arched windows arranged in groups of five on each side (to the south and north). A double crowning cornice runs around the main body of the church. Above the main entrance, there is a panel with the date of construction of the church. The aisleless interior is covered with a sail vault. The walls are adorned with fluted pilasters, between which there are shallow niches with window openings. To the west, there is a choir supported by Ionic columns.

Part of the interior décor dates back to the late 18th century, but it was largely changed during the major renovation of the turn of the 19th century to the 20th century. The architectural main altar from around 1800 was moved from the Franciscan church in Racibórz in 1826. Its reredos includes a painting of the Holy Trinity of 1888 painted by Joseph Fahnroth. In addition, the church features side altars, paintings of 1662 depicting St. Louis and St. Bonaventure, Baroque crucifix, bell dated 1858, and organ dated 1867 (2 manuals with 14 voices), pulpit dated 1888 (made by sculptor Paul Ondrusch from Głubczyce), stained glass windows dated 1892, two of which are figurative, depicting the patrons of the neighbouring churches of St. Anne, patron of Niemysłowice, and St. George, patron of Mieszkowice. In addition, two statues of St. Anthony and Christ are located next to the side exit from the church, two statues of St. Joseph and St. Barbara next to the entrance to the sacristy, and the nave is adorned with paintings of Christ from the 18th century, Saint Juan Grande from the 18th century, St. Peter Kanisi from the 18th century, Blessed Virgin Mary with Child from the first half of the 19th century.

The façade next to the side entrance to the church is fitted with two stone Renaissance tombstones of Christof Workwitz-Morkwitz from Rudziczka and his wife Urszula Bischofshey from 1606. They come from the previous building. Next to the epitaph of 1674, it was dedicated to the deceased parents of the then parish priest.

The church is in use and is open to visitors.

compiled by Joanna Banik, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 04-08-2015.

Bibliography

  • Chrząszcz J., Geschichte der Stadt Neustadt in Oberschlesien. Magistrat Neustadt. Neustadt 1912.
  • Dereń A., Rudziczka - dzieje wsi do 1945 roku 700-lecie Rudziczki [in:] Ziemia Prudnicka rocznik 2004, G. Weigt, A. Dereń (eds.), Prudnik 2004, pp. 190-197.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. VII: Województwo opolskie, issue 7: Powiat prudnicki, prepared by T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warsaw 1960, pp. 66-67
  • Kronika parafii Rudziczka - Archives of the parish of the Holy Trinity in Rudziczka.
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, Bd. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler der Landkreise des Reg.-Bezirks Breslau, Breslau 1889.
  • Markgraf H., Schulte J. W., Liber fundationis episcopatus Vratislaviensis, C 228, p. 104.
  • Schwedowitz W., Geschichte der Pfarrer des Archipresbiterates Neustadt OS., Neustadt 1938.
  • Zawada S. Projekt remontu więźby i wymiany pokrycia dachowego kościoła w Rudziczce, 1959 - Archives of the Voivodeship Monuments Protection Office in Opole, file no. 470
  • Ziemia Prudnicka. Dzieje, gospodarka, kultura, W. Lesiuk (ed.), Opole 1978.
  • Żmuda J., Rudziczka, Opole 2003.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1801 - 1803
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Rudziczka 216
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district prudnicki, commune Prudnik - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area