Parish Church of the Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary, Rudawica
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of the Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary

Rudawica

photo

The church in Rudawica is a valuable example of the group of stone churches built in rural style The building shows features of the intermediate period between Gothic and Renaissance.

History

It came into being in the 14th century at the initiative of canons regular from Żagań. It was referenced in 1376. In the years 1540-1668, it was used by Evangelicals. In that period, and more precisely in the first half of the 16th century, the early-Gothic building was re-designed by extending the main body to the south and east (and also upwards). In addition, late-Gothic vaults were installed, and a sacristy with a gallery was added from the north. In 1668, the church was reclaimed by Catholics in 1752, it became an independent parish. It was renovated in 1969 and 2002.

Description

The church is located in the northern part of the village, on the eastern side of the exit road to Żagań. It is circumscribed with a stone wall with gates on the south and the west. In the area surrounding the church, there are single gravestones that have survived of a former cemetery. The church is oriented. It shows Gothic and Renaissance features.

It is a building made of stone and bog iron, and in some fragments also of brick. It is partially plastered (eastern and southern façade, and buttresses). The western gable is based on a post-and-beam structure with brick infills, similarly as the eastern wall of the tower. The top section of the tower is based on a wooden post-and-frame structure and covered with weatherboards. The church was built on a rectangular floor plan, with a chancel terminating in a semi-hexagon, a rectangular sacristy from the north, a quadrangular tower from the west, and a side porch on a square floor plan from the south. The compact, buttressed body is covered with a gable roof which over the apse gives way to a multi-faceted roof. Over the sacristy, there is a shed roof clad in roof tiles. The four-storey, bulky tower is topped with a flat hipped roof with a bulbous cupola with a spire and an orb, covered with weatherboards. The single-nave, aisleless interior is covered with a lierne vault which gives way to a stellar vault over the chancel. The vaulting of the chancel rests on a column located in the centre. Over the sacristy, there is a stellar vault, and on the ground floor of the tower and in the side porch, there are wooden beamed ceilings. In the western section, there is a plain wooden gallery with neo-Gothic pipe organ casing. The surviving fittings include, among other things, Gothic baptismal font, bell with the date 1471, Baroque paintings and Classicist main altarpiece. A penitential cross from the 17th century, embedded in a buttress of the chancel, is worth particular attention.

The site is open to the public. It can be visited by prior telephone arrangement.

compiled by Marta Kłaczkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 12-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Karta ewidencyjna, Kościół paraf. pw. Wniebowzięcia NMP, oprac. J. Sawiński, 2005 r., Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Zielonej Górze.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 23-316-317.
  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, Tom II, Zielona Góra 2012, s. 130-131.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Rudawica
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district żagański, commune Żagań
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area