Evangelical church, currently the filial Church of St. Peter and Paul, Rożnów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Evangelical church, currently the filial Church of St. Peter and Paul

Rożnów

photo

One of the younger wooden Evangelical churches in the region, erected using the traditional division into a chancel and a nave. It was modelled on a slightly younger church in nearby Gołkowice, perhaps both were built by the same carpenter. In the neighbourhood of the church, there is a brick pyramid-shaped tomb dating from 1780.

History

The church in Rożnów was first mentioned in 1376, when it was dedicated to the Holy Trinity. Since 1530, it was used by Protestants. The present church was erected in 1788. Since 1945, it serves as a Roman-Catholic filial church in the parish of St. Michael the Archangel in Skałągi. It was renewed several times, among others, in 1930, 1887 (replacement of the roof truss) and in recent years (replacement of the ground plate, reinforcement of the foundation, etc.).

Description

The church is oriented, located at the road in the western part of the village, at the south-west boundary of a park belonging to the nearby former property, about 400 m from the manor house. In the neighbourhood of the church, there is a brick pyramid-shaped tomb dating from 1780. The area around the church is overgrown with old trees and surrounded by a partially preserved wooden fence, covered with a roof, and with a wooden gate to the south.

The church consists of a chancel closed off on three sides, to the north of which there is an adjacent square sacristy with an entrance on the western side, an almost square nave (difference in the length of the walls is about 10 cm) and a square tower adjacent to the west. Entrances to the interior of the church lead through the tower's ground floor and doors located in the middle of the southern wall of the nave. The body of the church is proportional and soaring. The chancel and the nave are covered with saddle roofs with steep planes, with a pronounced crowning cornice under the eaves; the sacristy is topped with a gable roof with a roof ridge perpendicular to the body, with a wide skirt roof near the gable. The three-storey tower is covered with a bulbous cupola with a lantern, set at level of the ridge of the nave. Entrances to the church are topped with a round arch and feature old doors with preserved fittings. Windows are topped with segmental arches; the window in the sacristy is rectangular.

The church was built of wood as a log structure on a concrete and stone foundation. The tower features a post-and-beam structure; its walls are covered with vertical weatherboards. The roofs and Baroque cupola of the tower are clad with wood shingles. The interior is covered with flat ceilings with crown mouldings. The choir with a wavy parapet is supported by four profiled posts, extended by an overhanging gallery running along the northern wall and can be accessed by stairs in the north-western corner of the nave.

Modest church fixtures and fittings include, among others, Gothic triptych from the late 15th century, renovated in 1913, sculpted with paintings of wings and predellas on the back, Rococo organ and pulpit, baptismal font decorated with an acanthus from the early 18th century, and a bell cast in 1523 and decorated with a passion fruit wreath.

The monument is open to visitors. Viewing of the interior is possible by prior telephone arrangement.

compiled by Ewa Kalbarczyk-Klak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 29-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, vol. VII, Województwo opolskie, issue 4: kluczborski, T. Chrzanowski and M. Kornecki (eds.), p. 43.
  • Emmerling D., Wierzgoń A., Opolskie kościoły drewniane, Opole 2006, pp. 64-65.
  • Śląsk. Zabytki Sztuki w Polsce, collective work, Warsaw 2006, p. 742.
  • Lutsch Hans, Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, Bd. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Reg.-Bezirks Oppeln, T.2, Breslau 1894, p. 17.
  • Burgmeister L., Wiggert E., Holzkirche und Holztürme der preussischen Ostprovinzen Schlesien, etc., Berlin 1905, p. 38.
  • Matuszczyk J., Architektura drewnianych kościołów ewangelickich w powiecie kluczborskim, Rocznik Muzeum Górnośląskiego w Bytomiu, Sztuka, issue: 4, Bytom 1968, p. 12 et seq.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Rożnów
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district kluczborski, commune Wołczyn - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area