Orthodox nunnery, currently a Youth Care Centre - Zabytek.pl
woj. podlaskie, pow. sokólski, gm. Dąbrowa Białostocka-obszar wiejski
A feature with an original, diversified body and lavish details inspired by Russian tserkvas.
The name “Drapieżnik” (Predator) most probably derives from the Russian word “trapeznaya”, which means a refectory. Construction began after 1911 and it was probably never completed due to the need to evacuate nuns to Russia in 1915. This same year, the Germans took over the building and installed an economic office therein. In 1919, the former nunnery became property of the Salesians, and, after the arrival of the Salesian nuns in Różanystok in 1922, a boarding school run by them was established in the building. During World War II, the “Predator” served as a dorm for Russian soldiers, then it was intercepted by German troops. In the years 1945-1954, it served the Salesians again, and from 1954 onwards, it belonged to the state. At first, it hosted a female boarding school of the Agricultural School Complex, later - a canteen and a school common room, to name a few. In 2000, the building was handed over to the Salesians, who after the renovation of the interior established a Youth Care Centre for boys.
The building is located in the middle of the village, east of the parish church and south of the former Dominican monastery. An eclectic building, decorated with details inspired by Russian tserkvas.
A building with a very diversified, fragmented body. It has three storeys - except for a one-storey central part that hosts an assembly hall. The eastern part includes a usable attic, while the western part - a four-storey tower. An external staircase, leading directly to the assembly hall, abuts on the north façade.
The building is made of brick, plastered both on the inside and on the outside. A foundation is faced by stone bossage. The roof is covered with copper sheet.
Façades are intersected by window openings of various shapes: round and segmental arches, paired arched windows, triple arched windows and rectangular openings. Additionally, façades are vivid owing to panels of various shapes, terminated, among others, with multi-leaf arches and ogees. Gables crowning particular parts of the building have similar shapes. Crowning cornices have a form of profiled battens, include cubical ornaments and in the western part they rest on stylised brick brackets. The interior layout is diverse; in the western and central part - two-bay with corridors. On the first storey of the central part, there is a spacious assembly hall covered with a sail vault. It hosts a theatrical stage.
The structure can be viewed from the outside.
compiled by Aneta Kułak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Bialystok, 11-07-2014.
- Karta ewidencyjna, Klasztor prawosławny żeński, tzw. Drapieżnik ob. internat żeński, oprac. Jabłoński K., 1988, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Białymstoku oraz Archiwum Narodowego Instytutu Dziedzictwa w Warszawie.
- Łotowski J., Sanktuarium Różanostockie, Warszawa 1987.
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_20_BK.61066