Palace complex - Zabytek.pl
woj. wielkopolskie, pow. gostyński, gm. Poniec-obszar wiejski
It is also a unique entry in the oeuvre of Friedrich August Stüler due to the fact that it combines two distinct types of aristocratic residence - namely the “Italian” and the “English” type - which this particular architect tended to use separately in his other designs. The palace serves as a living proof of the influence of ideology of the landed gentry on the residential architecture of the 19th century.
The first mentions of the village of Rokosowo can be found in documents dating back to 1310. The village remained in the hands of the noble house of Rokossowski of the Glaubicz coat of arms; their presence here is repeatedly referred to in historical documents right until the end of the 17th century. After that, both the village and the manor were acquired by the Skoraczewski family; it was from them that general Jan Lipski of the Grabie coat of arms purchased the manor towards the end of the 18th century. In 1828, he sold Rokosowo to Józef Mycielski of the Dołęga coat of arms, who commenced construction works on his new mansion before the mid-19th century. Soon afterwards, however, the manor was sold yet again. In 1867, it was acquired by duke Adam Konstanty Czartoryski, who resided here right until his death in 1880. The manor was then inherited by his son, Zygmunt Czartoryski, who proved to be an able landowner who also showed a deep interest in the subject of architecture, as evidenced by his authorship of a once-popular study of manor houses and the accompanying buildings entitled O stylu krajowym w budownictwie wiejskim (On the National Style in Country Architecture). His son, Jan Roman Czartoryski, would become the very last private owner of the village of Rokosowo. The new palace in Rokosowo was erected in years 1849-1854, based on the designs created by one of the most renowned and respected architect of the day, Friedrich August Stüler, an apprentice of K. F. Schinkel. Stuele was commissioned by Józef Mycielski to draw up the plans for the erstwhile owner’s new country home. The construction works were led by A. Mueller, an engineer from Rawicz. The date incorporated into the top section of the front avant-corps - 1850 - refers to the completion of the main portion of construction works. The work on the interiors would not be completed until 1858. Before 1885, a two-storey annex was also added to the western section of the palace.
Józef Mycielski’s palace was erected on the site of an earlier fortified manor. The palace is a three-storey brick building with plastered walls, build on a rectangular, almost square floor plan. The compact structure rests upon a basement with segmental vaults. Its most distinctive feature is a pair of round towers which flank the front (southern) façade. The corners of the rear façade, on the other hand, are only accentuated with overhanging octagonal turrets. The front towers, rising a single storey above the rest of the structure, are crowned with a crenellated parapet, much like the façades of the building itself, with the exception of the octagonal annex with a terrace on the first-floor level, adjoining the building to the east.
The top section of the front avant-corps is adorned with a rectangular plaque with a stone relief depicting the Dołęga coat of arms of the Mycielski family and the date 1850. The interiors on the ground floor and the first floor all follow a three-bay layout, with an impressive, representational castle vestibule designed in the English style positioned in the centre, featuring two rows of marble columns topped with Corinthian capitals and supporting the groin vault above. The drawing room with an exit leading straight into the park is positioned on the axis of the vestibule; it is connected to the winter garden annex through a room located towards the east. A representational hall and chapel is located directly above the vestibule and drawing room. The residential quarters of the owners of the palace can be found in the southern section of the ground floor and the first floor. The palace is surrounded by an English-style park with two ponds and a hill which serves as a vantage point from which the entire manor can be admired.
Monument accessible to visitors. It houses the Centre for European Integration of the Marshal Office of the Wielkopolska Region.
compiled by Beata Marzęta, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznań, 31-10-2014.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.154917, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_BK.70872