Residential tower forming part of a ducal manor, Rakowice Wielkie
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Residential tower forming part of a ducal manor

Rakowice Wielkie

photo

A residential tower, formerly part of a ducal manor. An example of a small, late-medieval magnate’s residence. Today, the building is in a state of ruin.

History

The tower is believed to have been erected by Georg von Zedlitz in the early 16th century. The tower, redesigned in 1696, was originally surrounded by manor farm buildings which were subsequently demolished during the second half of the 19th century After 1945, the structure was abandoned and the process of gradual decay has begun; in the end, the building ended up in a state of complete ruin. As a result, the walls of the tower have partially collapsed, with some of the debris being cleared in the 1970s.

Description

The building is located in the middle of the village. It was designed on a roughly rectangular plan, its dimensions being 9.4 x 10.5 metres. It is suspected that the structure might have been once surrounded by a moat. Initially a three-storey edifice, the tower consisted of a basement, ground floor level (rising approximately 2.8 metres above the current ground level) as well as the first-floor level. The building used to be covered with a gable roof, which is now believed to have been a later addition. The main entrance is located at the basement level. The windows are rectangular in shape and relatively small, some of them featuring profiled (fasciated) surrounds. The basement and the ground floor level originally featured vaulted ceilings of the barrel type, with a beamed ceiling being used for the first-floor level. A narrow hallway with a staircase is located on the lower level of the northern part of the building. The walls of the tower, featuring a layer of stone lining, attained the maximum thickness of between 140 and 180 cm at the ground floor level. The buttresses in the middle of the eastern and southern façades were added to provide reinforcement to the unstable walls which were beginning to show visible cracks. The surviving walls of the basement and ground floor level, reaching up to the height of 5.5 metres, incorporate a stone portal topped with a semi-circular arch as well as fragments of one of the window surrounds. A vaulted hallway which had once housed the staircase leading from the basement to the first floor has also survived. The rest of the interior is covered with rubble and overgrown with self-sown vegetation.

The site is open to the public.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 30-04-2015.

Bibliography

  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 2 Pogórze Izerskie, Vol. II, M. Staff (ed.), Wrocław 2003, p. 284.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 735.
  • Zamki i dwory obronne w Sudetach, Vol. II Księstwo jaworskie, Wrocław 2009, pp. 171-172.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: początek XVI w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Rakowice Wielkie
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district lwówecki, commune Lwówek Śląski - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area