The building of the former Freemasonry Lodge, currently the Regional Public Prosecutor's Office, Radom
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The building of the former Freemasonry Lodge, currently the Regional Public Prosecutor's Office

Radom

photo

The building of the Freemasonry Lodge “Jutrzenka Wschodząca” (“Rising Morning Star”) is an example of Classicist architecture from the 1st half of the 19th century in the Mazovian region. It was designed by the renowned architect Jakub Kubicki.

History

The Freemasonry Lodge called “Jutrzenka Wschodząca na Wschodzie Radomia” (“Morning Star Rising in the East of Radom”) was established in Radom in 1812. Feliks Gawdzicki, a writer and a participant of the Kościuszko Uprising, was its founder, and Jan Kuszewski became its Master Mason. In 1813, after the tsarist army took over the town, the Lodge suspended its activity until 1814. In 1819, the Freemasons from Radom moved to a new building, erected according to the design by Jakub Kubicki, an honourable member of the Lodge.

Freemasonry organisations acted in secret, and therefore formally the Lodge did not own the property. According to the documents, the building belonged to Jan Pusznik, a rich merchant from Radom, probably a member of “Jutrzenka”. The Lodge conducted broad social, charitable, as well as patriotic activity among the residents of Radom. However, it did not last long, as Lodges in the whole Kingdom of Poland were disbanded as a result of a tsarist ban on secret assemblies that was introduced in 1821. Since 1822, the building served as a field hospital, and then, since 1863, it was the seat of the district office. In the Second Republic of Poland, the building housed a magistrates’ court, and in 1939-1973, a hospital again. Since 1975, the building has been administrated by the Public Prosecutor's Office.

Description

The former building of the Lodge is located in the centre of Radom, next to the historic post office building, and faces the former Warsaw Route (currently Jacka Malczewskiego street).

It was erected on a rectangular floor plan with a staircase adjoined from the yard side. It is a two-storey building with a hip roof clad with sheet metal. The symmetrical front façade has seven axes and a balcony placed in the centre over the entrance, supported by Ionic columns. The front façade is divided with cornices and rusticated in the one-storey part. Windows are decorated with surrounds and window headers. They are particularly impressive on the first floor, as the decorations there presents freemasonry symbols (hammers in coat of arms cartouches). From the south, the front façade adjoins an arcaded gateway to the estate behind the building.

The structure is open to the public from the outside.

compiled by Bartłomiej Modrzewski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warszawa, 13-11-2015.

Bibliography

  • R. Metzger, Masoni w Radomiu, http://radom.wyborcza.pl/radom/1,78404,838187.html?disableRedirects=true, dostęp: 13 listopada 2015.
  • Radom. Dzieje miasta w XIX i XX wieku, red. S. Witkowski, Warszawa 1985.
  • J. Szałygin, Dom - d. Loża Masońska - ob. Prokuratura Wojewódzka [karta ewidencyjna], Radom 1999.

General information

  • Type: public building
  • Chronology: 1818 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Jacka Malczewskiego 7, Radom
  • Location: Voivodeship mazowieckie, district Radom, commune Radom
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area