Filial Church of St. Judas Thaddaeus, Przewóz
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Filial Church of St. Judas Thaddaeus

Przewóz

photo

Built in 1559, the church is an example of a structure translocated in the early 20th century, serving its function in a new location. It has a proportional additive body integrated into the flat landscape of the region.

History

The church was erected in Gierałtowice in 1559 and moved to its current location in 1937. During translocation and full-scale renovation, it has lost some of its stylistic features. The church belonged to the parish of St. Bartholomew in Łany; after the construction of a church in Nieznaszyn in 1990-1998 and establishment of the parish of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus there, it was assigned to that parish and has belonged to it to this day.

Description

The church is situated perpendicularly to the road crossing the village, in its north-western part. The chancel faces the south and behind it is a cemetery surrounded by a fence. Next to the building, there are few preserved old trees.

The church consists of a short rectangular nave, a slightly narrower chancel closed off on three sides with a sacristy added on the axis to the south. To the north, the nave adjoins a tower on a plan in the shape resembling a square. The body of the church is compact and proportional. Its dominant feature is the tower consisting of three storeys clearly separated from each other by roofs with eaves and covered with a tented roof. At the southern edge of the roof of the nave, there is an octagonal steeple turret, topped with a bulbous cupola with a lantern. The chancel is slightly lower than the nave, covered with a saddle roof with three planes above the terminating vista, seamlessly connected to a gable roof over the nave. The low sacristy is covered with a gable roof, reaching the end of the chancel walls with the roof ridge.

The church is a log structure set on a tall concrete foundation. The lower storey of the tower is built of brick and plastered; the upper storeys feature a post-and-beam structure stiffened with braces. Apart from the ground floor of the tower, the façades of the church are covered with vertically positioned weatherboards. The roofs and cupola of the turret are clad with wood shingles.

The walls of the church are plastered on the inside. The rooms are topped with flat ceilings covered with murals from 1937 (mural depicting the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the chancel and the Last Supper over the nave). The window and door openings are rectangular; the windows in the nave and chancel are hexapartite at the bottom with a semicircular fanlight divided by radial muntins into three quarters; the sacristy is illuminated by rectangular windows. Over the roofed main entrance to the church, there is a pointed-arch window. The fixtures and fittings vary in style and are partly modern. A straight choir gallery can be accessed from the tower and is supported by wooden marbleised posts.

The structure can be viewed from the outside; the interior is open to visitors during services or by arrangement with the parish priest.

compiled by Ewa Kalbarczyk-Klak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 07-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, red. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, T.7,z.5. (powiat kozielski), p. 53.
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, Bd. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Reg.-Bezirks Oppeln, T. 2, Breslau 1894, s. 278

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: poł. XVI w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Przewóz
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district kędzierzyńsko-kozielski, commune Cisek
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area