Municipal Bathhouse (Städische Badenstalt), currently a municipal swimming pool - Zabytek.pl
Prudnik, Parkowa 4
woj. opolskie, pow. prudnicki, gm. Prudnik-miasto
At the same time, apart from a municipal park and hospital, among others, it is an example of their deep involvement in the public and social life of the town from the mid-19th century to World War 2 through numerous generous donations especially to the needy, but also to the whole community, regardless of religious affiliation.
The Art Nouveau is also an example of public utility architecture of the early 20th century and is characterised by functional, spatial and aesthetic solutions represented in other structures of that type in Central Europe: in Wrocław, Berlin, or Quedlinburg.
The municipal authorities had planned to build a municipal bathhouse since 1895. It proved to be too difficult to raise the funds for this project and finally the bathhouse with an indoor pool was built 10 years later with a donation from Joseph Pinkus and brothers Albert and Emanuel Fränkel.
The author of the design was Launer from Quedlinburg who served as a municipal building councillor (and was inspired by the bathhouse in Quedlinburg from 1903), and the construction work was led by municipal builder Schinol. The construction began in April 1906 and the structure was covered with a roof as early as autumn. The bathhouse was ceremonially opened on 4 November 1907, placing inside two bronze plaques commemorating the donors.
The building has retained its function and today it houses a municipal swimming pool.
The former municipal bathhouse is located in the centre of the town, near the municipal park. The building consists of two main parts: front part, with the main entrance, which houses administrative rooms and service spaces, and perpendicularly positioned hall with an indoor pool. The plan of the whole structures resembles the letter T. The masonry multi-storey building is covered with a mansard roof to the front and a gable roof over the swimming pool. The body is variegated by annexes and avant-corps. Grooves in the façade mark the rustication. A distinctive feature of the building is its Art Nouveau front façade with the main entrance through a decorative portal topped with an arch, which can be accessed by semicircular stairs. Over the portal there is a signboard in the original frame. The façade is inhabited by water fauna and flora: frogs, turtles, catfish, seahorses, crabs, lilies, sweet flags, and seaweeds.
The interior layout has not changed substantially; the swimming pool, illuminated by semicircular windows and skylight in the ceiling, has retained its original character.
The venue is managed by the Centre of Sports and Recreation in Prudnik, http://www.osirprudnik.pl.
compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 15-07-2014.
- Baron A., Max Pinkus. 1857-1934. Śląski przemysłowiec i mecenas kultury, Opole 2008.
- Chrząszcz J., Geschichte der Stadt Neustadt in Oberschlesien, Neustadt 1912.
- Kulczyk P., Rzepiela U., Prudnik na dawnej pocztówce, Opole 2002.
- Rathmann R., Neustadt in Oberschlesien, Berlin 1929.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_16_BK.23015, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_16_BK.22290