Church of Sts. Peter and Paul, Prudnik
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Church of Sts. Peter and Paul

Prudnik

photo

The church was designed in Baroque style and is oriented towards the north.

History

The Church of Sts. Peter and Paul is part of the complex of buildings owned by the Monastery of the Brothers Hospitallers of Saint John of God in Prudnik. Its origins are associated with Colonel Friedrich Wilhelm von Röder (1718-1781), who was seriously wounded in the Seven Year's War and cured by Brother Hospitaller Martini Probus in 1763. As a sign of appreciation, Colonel Röder became a sponsor of the Fatebenefratelli in Prudnik. In 1764 the King of Prussia, Frederick II the Great, issued a permit to establish a monastery of the Fatebenefratelli in Prudnik. Colonel v. Röder purchased land, on which a hospital with a chapel and pharmacy was established by 1766. In 1769, the plans for the church and the monastery were developed by Michał Klemens (Clement) from Karniów. The monastery and the hospital were built in 1783-1784, while the Church of Sts. Peter and Paul was erected in 1785-1787. The construction was supervised by Piotr Paweł Ertel, master mason from Wrocław. In 1793, a Baroque tower was added to the church. In 1855, the church was fitted with a new organ and bell funded by the Brothers Hospitallers of St. John of God from Wrocław. In 1858, a clock was installed in the church tower. In 1864 a gas lighting system was installed and the main altar was renovated, and in 1869 a new Way of the Cross was founded. In 1873, Emperor Wilhelm I sponsored a bell, which was named "Joseph". In 1893, the church was renovated. It underwent full-scale renovation in 1906 that gave it its present appearance. In 1911, prior Wolfgang Wiench, among others, connected electricity to the church and monastery. After World War 2, the church has remained in the hands of the Brothers Hospitallers of St. John of God, who gradually regained the remaining assets formerly owned by them.

Description

The church is located in the centre of the town, with its front façade facing Piastowska Street, and adjoins monastery buildings to the east. It was built on a rectangular floor plan as a hall building with a chancel closed off on three sides, facing the north and a tower almost completely embedded in the south façade.

The church is made of brick and plastered. The main body is covered with a gable roof (multi-faceted roof in the chancel part). The four-storey tower is surmounted by a bulbous cupola with a slender lantern. The front (south) façade is three-axial with the tower axis extending slightly beyond the face. Rounded corners are emphasised by pilasters, and the articulation is complemented by cornices (pronounced in the tower part) between the storeys and a crowning cornice, and openings varying in shape. On the axis there is a segmental-arched entrance. In the middle of the third storey, the tower is embellished with wavy volutes. On the last fourth storey of the tower, there are clock faces placed over the window openings. The side façade and façade of the chancel are articulated with tall window openings topped with semicircular arches. The hall interior of the church is covered with a barrel vault with lunettes, and the walls are articulated with pairs of pilasters. Both the vault and the walls are covered with decoration. In the southern part, there is a choir supported by three arcades, with a full balustrade covered with stucco ornaments.

The interior of the church features part of the historical décor (including murals on the ceiling of the nave and the chancel, made by Klink in 1906) and original fixtures and fittings, including, but not limited to, Baroque crucifix, architectural Classicist altar from the mid-19th c. with a painting of the patrons of the church, which was donated by the Weidinger family, two Classicist side altars, pulpit with a relief depicting the Good Samaritan by Fahnroth (1870), Pietà (1908), bell from 1858, set of church benches, figurative stained glass window, and paintings: "St. Louis" from 1662, "Christ" from the 18th c., "Saint Juan Grande" from the 18th c., "Saint Peter Kanisi" from the 18th c., "Mother of God with Child" from the 1st half of the 19th c., "John of God" and "John the Great" (Joseph Fahnroth, 1870).

The church is located in the centre of the town and is open to visitors.

compiled by Joanna Banik, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 17-10-2015.

Bibliography

  • Degen K., Bleyl W., Werbik W., Focke F., Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler des Kreises Namslau (Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler Schlesiens. Regierungsbezirk Breslau, Bd. 2), Breslau 1939.
  • Dominiak W., Kościół bonifratrów w Prudniku jako zabytek barokowy. Problem datowania ołtarza głównego, [in:] G. Weigt, A. Dereń (eds.), Ziemia Prudnicka. Rocznik 2008. Twórcze pogranicze, Prudnik 2009, pp. 176-190.
  • Green monument record sheet, Voivodeship Monuments Protection Office in Opole, 1959.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. VII: Województwo opolskie, issue 7: Powiat prudnicki, prepared by T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warsaw 1960, pp. 57-58.
  • Wąsik K.OH, 240 lat oo. bonifratrów w Prudniku, [in:] G. Weigt, A. Dereń (eds.), Ziemia Prudnicka. Rocznik 2004. Pięć lat powiatu, Prudnik 2004, pp. 30-37.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1785-1787
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Piastowska 6, Prudnik
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district prudnicki, commune Prudnik - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area