The parish church of Our Lady of Candles, Poraż
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The parish church of Our Lady of Candles

Poraż

photo

The church is an example of a Late Baroque ecclesiastical building typical for the region, made on a small scale and featuring restrained architectural detailing. Its prominent location gives it an additional landscape value.

History

The parish in Poraż was established early, dating back to the second half of the 15th century. The current church was built in 1784 and is most likely the third temple to be erected in this location, its predecessors having been made of wood. In 1902 the roof structure was restored; the roof cladding was also replaced and a small steeple added. In 1954, Zbigniew (?) Krygowski and Stanisław Szmuc have painted a new wall painting. The second restoration of the roof took place in 1965 and a new steeple was added, its form different from that of the original one. Barely thirty years after the first one was created, a second wall painting was made in 1983 by Maciej Kuczyński from Cracow.

Description

The church is located in the south-eastern part of the village, at the apex of the southern side of the valley in which the village of Poraż was established. The church is positioned on the north-south axis, its facade facing northwards. It was designed in the Baroque style. Main interior preceded by a square porch. A single-nave church, with a narrower chancel terminating in a semicircular apse and flanked by two square chambers housing the sacristy and the treasury. The shape of the church is relatively simple, the only prominent features being the front porch, the treasury and the sacristy. The roof above the nave is crowned by a tall and slender segmented steeple. The building was constructed using ashlar stones, river stones and brick. The temple features a gable roof above the nave and porch, a semi-conical roof above a part of the chancel and shed roofs above other sections; all roof surfaces covered with sheet metal. The nave and chancel feature beam ceilings, with sail vaults used for both treasury and sacristy. The roof features a timber king post truss. The facades of the church are embellished with pilasters which support a pronounced, mitered entablature. Pilasters are also used for interior decoration. The interiors were designed in the Baroque style (17th and 18th century). A painting by Władysław Lisowski can be seen in the sacristy.

The building is available all year round and may be visited upon prior telephone appointment.

Compiled by Bartosz Podubny, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Rzeszów, 21.08.2014.

Bibliography

  • Record sheet, Poraż, the Roman Catholic parish church of Our Lady of Candles and Our Lady of Sorrows, compiled by: Bosak B. and A., 1999, Archive of the Voivodeship Heritage Monuments Protection Office, Krosno Regional Office.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Seria Nowa, t. 1: Województwo krośnieńskie, z. 2: Lesko, Sanok, Ustrzyki Dolne i okolice, Warsaw 1982.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1784 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Poraż
  • Location: Voivodeship podkarpackie, district sanocki, commune Zagórz - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area