Manor house and park complex, Podstolice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Manor house and park complex

Podstolice

photo

The manor house in Podstolice is an example of a Neoclassical residence from the 2nd half of the 19th century. It is surrounded by a landscape park.

History

Podstolice was mentioned in written records for the first time in 1400. It was a nobility-owned village. In 1578, it was owned by Piotr Potulicki, voivode of Kalisz, in 1618 — by Maruszka Czyżewska, in 1793 — by Ludwika Lipska. Subsequently, the village belonged to the Suchorzewski, Brudzewski, and Kierski families. In 1873, the name of the village was changed to Tischdorf. In the 1880s, it became the property of the King of Prussia. The surviving Neoclassical manor house, which was a residence of the lessee of the estate, was erected in 1890. In the inter-war period, Podstolice was taken over by the State Treasury and was leased by Stanisław Karłowski. After World War II, the land and the buildings were taken over by Państwowy Urząd Ziemski [the State Land Office]. In 1950, they were handed over to a Rolnicza Spółdzielnia Produkcyjna [an Agricultural Production Cooperative]. At first, the palace contained offices of the cooperative, subsequently — a nursery school, and then — workers’ flats. Since 1992, the owners of the manor house and the park have been the Kareńskis, who renovated the building and adapted it for a hotel and a restaurant. Currently, the palace along with a post-Evangelical church in the nearby village of Nekielka, converted into a concert hall, host meetings, conferences, training sessions, concerts, recitals, and exhibitions.

Description

The manor house and park complex is situated in the southern part of Podstolice, at the end of the main village road (Kasztanowa Street). The front façade faces the east. The building is surrounded by a park enclosed with a stone wall with brick posts on the east side and with wire netting on the other sides. There is a large pond in front of the manor house. To the east of the complex, there are manor farm buildings. The park covers an area of 2.6 ha.

The manor house has a floor plan in the shape of an elongated rectangle with rectangular pseudo-avant-corpses in the centre of the east and west façade. It has two small annexes containing vestibules on the south and north sides. The building has a basement. The central part has two storeys and the side wings are one-storeyed. In the centre of the front wall, there is a portico with four posts, topped with a balcony. There is a terrace at the back. Particular parts of the building are covered with small-pitched gable roofs.

The manor house has brick walls covered with plaster. The roofs are covered with roofing felt. Inside, there are wooden ceilings with counter-ceilings.

The façades are divided by means of simple string courses and crowned with a profiled cornice. Most windows are rectangular or square and framed by surrounds. The windows at the ground floor level are topped with profiled cornice segments. The front façade has eleven axes; the entrance is located on the central axis, behind a portico topped with a balcony enclosed with a decorative metal balustrade. The three windows at the first floor level are topped with triangular pediments. The central section is crowned with a triangular tympanum framed by a cornice. The side sections have four axes each. The façade facing the garden, also having eleven axes, looks very similar. It has tall, round-arched windows. The entrance is located in the centre.

The manor house still has the original, two-and-a-half-bay layout, with rooms on the east and west side separated by a narrow corridor running in the centre. Some rooms have elegant furniture.

The park surrounding the manor house features a large pond with a fountain and a pen with fallow deer, among other things. Walking along the park paths, you can come across peacocks.

The historic monument is accessible.

compiled by Krzysztof Jodłowski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 21-09-2015.

Bibliography

  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku, oprac. Paweł Szumigała, 1993.
  • Libicki M., Libicki P., Dwory i pałace wiejskie w Wielkopolsce, wyd. 3, Poznań 2003, s. 279.
  • Słownik geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego i innych krajów słowiańskich, t. VIII, Warszawa 1887, s. 472.

General information

  • Type: manor house
  • Chronology: 1890 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Podstolice
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district wrzesiński, commune Nekla - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area