The Parish church of St. Dorothy, Petrykozy
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The Parish church of St. Dorothy

Petrykozy

photo

An example of classical architecture preserved without transformations. It was designed by J. Ch. Kamsetzer.

History

The parish in Petrykozy has been in existence since 1470. The current church was built in the place of an older (wooden) building at the request of Marshal Stanisław Małachowski in 1791. It was designed by J. Ch. Kamsetzer, the royal architect of king Stanisław August Poniatowski. The works of the architect were known to Stanisław Małachowski thanks to his numerous sojourns in Warsaw. The church has not been transformed in architectural terms and has maintained its original, Classicist form.

Description

It is located by the road to Opoczno, in the northern part of the village. It is fenced by a brick wall with main gate and side wicket gates from the west. The church is not oriented - the chancel is located on the north-east.

It was built on a plan of two connected rectangles of different sizes. Kamsetzer designed it as a single-nave building with a narrower and slightly lower chancel. The walls are made of sandstone and brick, plastered. The roof truss is made of wood and covered with gable roofs (separate roof surfaces of the chancel and the nave). In the nave and the chancel, there are barrel vaults with lunettes, divided by arches.

The façades of the building are without decorative elements. Only the two-storey front façade in the lower section is decorated with an avant-corps topped with a pronounced cornice with a triangular gable. The upper storey is formed by a tower topped with a stepped gable. The entrance to the church is accentuated by a colonnaded portico, over which there is a panel with inscription: "Domus Orationis MDCCXCI”

Side façades are partitioned by pilasters and horizontally - by a flat cornice. Over the cornice, there are arcaded windows. In the eastern façade, there is an entrance to the crypt, and in the northern façade - to the sacristy. The original form of the church's interior has been preserved - side walls of the nave are partitioned with piers supporting a string course.

In the interior, a painting of the Holy Mother with Child Jesus by T. Sciacca of 1792, placed in the main alter, is worth particular attention. Most of the fittings, such as pipe organs, ambo, and altars, originate from the end of 18th century and from the 19th century.

The historic monument is accessible from the outside. Visiting the interior is possible after prior arrangement with the parish priest.

compiled by Anna Michalska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Łódź, 10.09.2014.

Bibliography

  • Wiśniewski J., Dekanat opoczyński, Radom 1913.
  • Łoza S., Architekci i budowniczowie w Polsce, Warszawa 1954
  • Jan Chrystian Kamsetzer, architekt Stanisława Augusta, Warszawa 1978

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Petrykozy 41, Petrykozy
  • Location: Voivodeship łódzkie, district opoczyński, commune Białaczów
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area