House of Factory Owner August Schneider (Schneider-Villa), Paczków
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

House of Factory Owner August Schneider (Schneider-Villa)

Paczków

photo

The house of August Schneider was the founder of the Factory of School Supplies and Drawing Utensils (Polish: Fabryka Przyborów Szkolnych i Kreślarskich), one of the largest 19th/20th-century industrial plants in the region, and the founder, among others, of the local retirement homes. The building is an example of a manufacturer's villa from the turn of the centuries.

History

The villa was erected for August Schneider who built a factory of drawing utensils on the eastern side of Daszyńskiego Street (then Äuss. Glatzerstrasse) in the 1880s. In 1886, together with his children, he moved to a residential and office building in the area of the villa, and after a few years on a nearby plot he commissioned the construction of a family villa. Until 1945 (probably until the death of the last of the daughters of the factory owner), the villa belonged to the Schneider family. After World War 2, the expropriated building was earmarked for use as a multi-family house. Part of the buildings of the so-called old factory at 9-11 Daszyńskiego Street and new factory built at 12-14 Daszyńskiego Street in the early 20th century have been preserved from the former plants.

Description

The house is located on the eastern side of the street leading to the south from the old town. It is made of brick, consists of two storeys covered with a gable roof. To the front there is an asymmetrically placed avant-corps with a decorative gable. The five-axial façade divided by cornices is rusticated and decorated with stuccowork, among others, in window surrounds. In the gable between the windows, there is a plaque with a vivid woman's head, surrounded by ornaments. On the right side of the building, next to the entrance, an ornate gate with a forged door leads to a paved courtyard with an outbuilding. The interior of the former villa (vestibule with a staircase and some residential rooms) have maintained their imposing appearance and original décor: ceiling and wall stuccowork, floors, and door joinery. The house requires renovation. Further repairs are carried out through the efforts of the owners' efforts.

Private property; viewing of the interior is possible by arrangement with the inhabitants.

compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 01-02-2015.

Bibliography

  • Biller L., Neisse, Ottmachau und Patschkau, die Städte am Mittelauf der Glatzer Neisse, Breslau 1932
  • Christ E., Patschkau aus der Geschichte meiner Heimatstadt, Dülmen 1989
  • Mohr H.G., Schiller L., 1254-2004. 750 Jahre Patschkau. Die Geschichte der Stadt Patschkau in Schlesien, Osnabrück 2004
  • Scholz A., A. Schneider. Werke für Zeichen-, Mal-, Büro- und Schulgeräte, Patschkau in Schlesien, gegr. 1873, Berlin-Neukölln 2000

General information

  • Type: villa
  • Chronology: koniec XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Daszyńskiego 5, Paczków
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district nyski, commune Paczków - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area