The Jerusalem Chapel of the Holy Cross (filial chapel of the parish of the Blessed Virgin Marry the Queen of Poland and Holy Archangels), Olsztyn
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The Jerusalem Chapel of the Holy Cross (filial chapel of the parish of the Blessed Virgin Marry the Queen of Poland and Holy Archangels)

Olsztyn

photo

An example of a small early modern building featuring simplified style forms; substantial historical values.

History

The existence of a chapel by the then road to Dobre Miasto, at the outskirts outside the walls, connected with passion devotion, has been documented in the sources since the 16th century (bishop's inspection in 1565). It was supervised by one administrator [Polish: prowizor] together with a hospital for lepers and chapel of the St. George, but it was not connected with hospital care. In 1609 it was renovated, which also included renovation of the set of sculptures of Crucifixion with a sculpture of Mary, St. John, and two thieves. In 1775, the chapel was renovated, which was founded by Piotr Poleski, a city councillor. In 1922, the interior was renovated (Albert Fothe, painter from Hamburg). Conservation works were carried out in the 1970s and in 2008.

Description

The chapel is located at Grundwaldzka Street in the area of the historical "lower" suburb, on the western side of the old municipal complex. The building was erected on a rectangular floor plan, the section with altar faces north-east. The body of the chapel is compact, cuboid, and covered with a gable roof. Façades are plain, framed with lesenes in the corners, and all of them feature a cornice under eaves. The front façade features a rectangular door opening and over it, there is a small square window. The side façade is pierced by two rectangular windows. Gables are undulating and volute-shaped. On the axis of the gable over the front façade, there is a turret embedded, shaped as a cylinder and flanked with pilasters; it is separated from the rest of the façade by a horizontal cornice, covered with a rooflet rising slightly above the main roof ridge. The chapel is made of brick, its gables are partially plastered, and the roof is covered with ceramic tiles. The interior is plastered, painted, covered with a wooden flat ceiling. On the wall behind the altar, there is a late-Gothic set of sculptures presenting Crucifixion, recorded in historic sources and of high artistic value — Jesus Christ on the cross in a niche, and two thieves on the sides. The windows in the side façade features abstract stained glass windows from 1976 by Hanna Szczypińska. On the land plot by the chapel, there is a cross on a plinth with a plaque featuring an inscription of the supplication Deliver us, Oh Lord... and the date 1886, commemorating a cholera epidemic (the cross was brought in 1975 from Warszawska Avenue).

The chapel remains in use and is closed outside church service hours.

Compiled by Joanna Piotrowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Olsztyn, 13.08.2014.

 

Bibliography

  • A. Rzempołuch, Architektura i urbanistyka Olsztyna 1353-1953. Od założenia miasta po odbudowę ze zniszczeń wojennych, Olsztyn 2005, s. 46-47.
  • Informacje prezentowane na tablicy poświęconej historii kaplicy.
  • A. Domarzewski, Współczesny witraż w zabytkowych wnętrzach sakralnych, w: Witraże w obiektach zabytkowych. Między konserwacją a sztuką współczesną, Kraków-Malbork 2009, s. 211-218.

General information

  • Type: chapel
  • Chronology: 1601-1700
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Grunwaldzka , Olsztyn
  • Location: Voivodeship warmińsko-mazurskie, district Olsztyn, commune Olsztyn
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area