Filial church of St Francis of Assisi, Olszanowo
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Filial church of St Francis of Assisi

Olszanowo

photo

The church is an example of a rural sacred building. It was erected using the traditional half-timbered construction technique. Built in the 17th century, it is one of the oldest buildings of that kind in Pomerania.

History

The village was first mentioned in the records of 1376. The oldest information about a church, a Protestant one, comes from the 2nd half of the 16th century. The present church was erected before 1688. In the late 17th century, Olszanowo was a centre of a large parish. In 1947, the church was taken over by Catholics. Presently, it is a filial church of the parish in Gwieździna.

Description

The church is located in the southern part of the village, on a hill, on the north-west side of the road. The church is oriented. In the immediate vicinity of the church, there are green areas (meadows, wastelands, woodlots), and further - village buildings. The church plot is surrounded by a concrete wall. On the area of the property, there are single old trees - the remains of the border plants. The churchyard was originally used as a graveyard (no gravestones have been preserved to this day).

The body of the church is a half-timbered structure with brick infills, and is covered with plaster. The tower features a post-and-beam structure covered with weatherboards. The eastern gable is weatherboarded in a herringbone pattern. The building was erected on a rectangular floor plan and features a single-space layout without a separated chancel. The church is cuboidal in shape. Its western section features a tower (embedded in the nave). From the south, there is an annex, that is a sacristy from 1985. The nave of the church is covered with gable roof, and the tower is topped with a bulbous dome with a lantern. The entrance to the building is in the western façade. Window openings feature semi-circular arches in the top sections. The façades are not adorned with any architectural detail; the clearly exposed structure of the building featuring a checkerboard arrangement of posts and beams and the colours of wood contrasted with plastered infills serve as a decoration.

In the interior, there is a beamed ceiling with a crown moulding and fibreboard counter ceilings. The Baroque pulpit from the 17th-18th century, the Rococo altar from the 18th century, and the bell from 1781 are part of the more important historical fittings.

The church is open to visitors. Viewing of the church is possible directly before and after services.

compiled by Beata Dygulska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Gdańsk, 04-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Sadkowski T., Drewniana architektura sakralna na Pomorzu Gdańskim w XVIII-XX w., Gdańsk 1977.
  • Fryda M., Kościoły Człuchowa i okolicy, Człuchów 1995, s.54.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XVII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Olszanowo
  • Location: Voivodeship pomorskie, district człuchowski, commune Rzeczenica
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area