Bell tower accompanying the church of St Stanislaus the Bishop, Niedźwiadna
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Bell tower accompanying the church of St Stanislaus the Bishop

Niedźwiadna

photo

The bell tower is an example of simple, vernacular architecture modelled after the contemporary works of masonry architecture, as evidenced by the profiled crowning cornice.

History

First mentions of a wooden bell tower with a pair of bells accompanying the church of St Stanislaus the Bishop can be found in the documents prepared during an inspection visit from 1609. The same information is then reiterated in similar documentation dating back to 1899. The bell tower is a simple structure with no features indicative of a definite architectural style; it was most likely erected during the 19th century. In the 20th century, parts of its structure have been replaced, as were the wooden boards serving as infills for the timber frame; in 2001, the roof cladding was also replaced.

Description

The bell tower accompanied the Late Gothic masonry church; it is located in the north-eastern corner of the church cemetery, right next to the fence. It was designed on a rectangular floor plan as a two-storey, cuboid structure with a relatively small footprint. It is a wooden building positioned on a stone wall base, featuring a post-and-beam structure clad with weatherboards. Its hip roof is covered with wood shingles. A wrought-iron openwork cross made by a local blacksmith surmounts the roof of the tower. The rectangular bell openings are protected by wooden louvres. The entrance is located in the southern façade of the structure. The tower comes equipped with a pair of church bells.

The historic monument can be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Iwona Górska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Białystok, 15-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Rogińska A., Historia, [in:] Niedźwiadna, [no place or year of issue available] pp. 12-17.

General information

  • Type: belfry
  • Chronology: XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Niedźwiadna
  • Location: Voivodeship podlaskie, district grajewski, commune Szczuczyn - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area