The bell tower accompanying the parish church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and of St Stanislaus the Bishop and Martyr, Narew
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The bell tower accompanying the parish church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and of St Stanislaus the Bishop and Martyr

Narew

photo

The bell tower in Narew remains one of the few surviving wooden structures of its kind in the Podlaskie province, dating back to the 18th century. Together with the nearby wooden church which it accompanies, it forms a picturesque complex of buildings. It also has a significant historical value due to the identity of its founder - Adam Kłokocki, the bishop of Brześć and Vilnius, who began his career as the parish priest in Narew.

History

The bell tower was erected in the years 1773-1792 at the initiative of the erstwhile parish priest, Adam Kłokocki, who served as the bishop of Łuck and Brześć in the years 1795-1798 and who later became the bishop of Vilnius in the years 1798-1808. In the mid-19th century, the building received its weatherboard cladding. Substantial renovation works took place in the 1970s and in 2011, when the entire roof cladding was replaced.

Description

The building is situated in the north-eastern part of the village, on the western side of the national road no. 685 which leads across Narew, on the northern side of Kościelna street; it is surrounded by a cemetery, designed on a rectangular plan and circumscribed by a wall made partly of brick and partly of stone. The bell tower itself stands in the south-west part of this burial ground. The bell tower was erected on a square floor plan; it is a two-storey structure with a narrower second storey, covered with a tented roof. The individual storeys are separated by a skirt roof. The tower is a wooden post-and-beam structure clad with vertically positioned weatherboards (board and batten siding); the roofs are clad with wood shingles. The ground-floor entrance features a wooden door made of vertical boards connected by means of horizontal battens. The second-storey bell openings in each of the tower’s four walls are rectangular in shape and feature horizontal louvres. The upper sections of the wooden surrounds of the bell openings feature a serrated fretwork pattern. A profiled cornice runs beneath both the main roof and the skirt roof between the storeys.

The building can be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Grzegorz Ryżewski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Białystok, 20-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Kotyńska Stetkiewicz J., Barokowy kościół w Narwi, “Biuletyn Konserwatorski Województwa Podlaskiego”, issue 11, 2005, pp. 96-110.
  • Record sheet, Narew. Dzwonnica przy kościele parafialnym, prepared by Tomecka B., 1979, Archive of the Regional Monuments Protection Office

General information

  • Type: belfry
  • Chronology: 1773-1792
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Narew
  • Location: Voivodeship podlaskie, district hajnowski, commune Narew
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area