Catholic Church of St John the Baptist, Murzynowo Kościelne
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Catholic Church of St John the Baptist

Murzynowo Kościelne

photo

The Parish Church of St John the Baptist is an example of Baroque rural wooden ecclesiastical architecture of Greater Poland. It was founded by the collegiate parish in Środa Wielkopolska.

History

Written records mentioned a parish in Murzynowo Kościelne for the first time in 1398. In 1537, King Sigismund I presented the contemporary church building and the surrounding lands to the collegiate parish in Środa Wielkopolska. The church, which burnt down along with the whole village in 1739, was replaced with the present church, built in the years 1739-1742. Between 1900 and 1903, the nave was extended with a brick section on the west side. In 1925, the interior was renovated and wall paintings were made according to a design by Antoni Procajłowicz. A series of renovation works were carried out in the church in the recent years, e.g. on the roof, the façades of the wooden part of the church, the floors, and the entrance door.

Description

Murzynowo Kościelne is located 11 km to the south-west of Września. The Church of St John the Baptist is situated on a small hill in the centre of the village — a former village green.

It has a wooden log structure. The nave was extended to the west with a Gothic Revival brick section; on the east side of the nave, there is a smaller chancel, terminating with a semi-hexagon and adjoined by a sacristy with a porch. The three-ridge roof is covered with roof tiles. It is surmounted by an octagonal steeple with a Baroque, onion-shaped, dome-like roof made of sheet metal, topped with a lantern. Inside, there is a coffered ceiling. The chancel is separated from the nave with a chamfered rood beam. The chancel is decorated with wall paintings with plant motifs made according to a design by Antoni Procajłowicz. The church fittings include Late-Baroque side altars from the late 18th century and a new main altar.

In the church yard, enclosed with a modern concrete and wooden fence, there is a wooden bell tower from the late 18th century, having an open post-and-beam structure, and a brick chapel, covered with a hip roof.

The church can be visited from the outside. Holy Masses: Saturday at 5.00 PM (in summer: at 6.00 PM); Sunday at 8.30, 10, and 11.30 AM; weekdays at 5.00 PM (in summer: at 6.00 PM), public holidays falling on weekdays at 10:00 AM and 5.00 PM (or 6.00 PM).

compiled by Tomasz Łuczak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 14-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. 5, Woj. wielkopolskie, red. Ruszczyńska Teresa, Sławska Aniela, z. 24, Pow. średzki, Warszawa 1964, s. 15-16
  • Kościoły drewniane w Wielkopolsce, red. Mariusz Grzebalski, Poznań 2004, s. 162.
  • Wielkopolska. Słownik krajoznawczy, red. Łęcki Włodzimierz, Poznań 2002, s. 218.
  • http://kosciolydrewniane.pl - odsłona z listopada 2015 r.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1739 - 1742
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Murzynowo Kościelne
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district średzki, commune Dominowo
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area