The St Luke the Evangelist parish church complex, Mrowla
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The St Luke the Evangelist parish church complex

Mrowla

photo

The main distinguishing feature of the church complex is the church itself - an excellent example of brick ecclesiastical architecture of the late 19th century, built in the Romanesque Revival style. The church has a significant artistic value and features an interesting sculpture of an eagle on its front facade; it is one of the most fascinating late-19th century churches found in the Podkarpackie voivodeship. Designed by Sławomir Odrzywolski, a renowned Cracow architect, who also authored a series of illustrated reports on its construction, published in the “Architekt” periodical. The complex also includes a brick and iron fence which matches the style of the church and features a rather unusual bust of pope Pius X.

History

The parish in Mrowla was founded between 1367 and 1373. The present church was built in years 1895-1900, replacing an older, wooden church dating back to 1826. The church was designed by Sławomir Odrzywolski, with the support of Franciszek Mączyński, who drew up the cost estimate. The construction process itself was overseen by the architect Karol Zaremba (1897), and then, following Zaremba’s death, by Sławomir Odrzywolski. The masonry works were conducted by master Mindowicz from Sieniawa. In 1956, the roof tiles were replaced with galvanised steel sheets. According to the author of the register sheet, an original wall painting executed by Stanisław Szmuc in the 1960s was subsequently destroyed. The fence around the church was built in 1903.

Description

The church complex is located in the southern part of the village, between other village buildings and the manor house complex. The church complex itself includes the church and the fence which surrounds it.

The church is oriented towards the east. It stands near the crossroads. The building is an example of Romanesque Revival architecture. The main entrance is preceded by a vestibule with a tower adjoining it from the north. The church is a single-nave structure; the nave itself has four bays. A three-sided chapel and a vestibule have been added on the north and south sides of the nave respectively, positioned alongside the axis of the third bay. The fourth bay is longer than the rest and features truncated corners. The rectangular, two-bay chancel is narrower than the nave. An irregularly-shaped sacristy abuts the chancel from the south. An element of variation was introduced to the horizontal shape of the church through the inclusion of a tall, monumental tower situated adjacent to the front facade as well as of a slender steeple. The church is made of brick. Its individual parts are covered with shed roofs, gable roofs, multi-hipped roofs and pyramid-shaped roofs, the latter being used on both the tower and the steeple. All roofs are clad with sheet metal. The nave, the chancel and the chapel feature cross-rib vaulting. The sacristy and the western vestibule features wooden beam ceilings. The roofs are supported by a wooden truss (queen-post structure with brackets and braces). The church features buttressed brick facades with stone detailing. The blind windows, including those positioned on the gable walls, as well as sections of the tower facade are covered with plaster. The dominant feature of the church is the tower, adorned with paired arched windows, triforia and stone balconies on the south-western and northern sides of the tower. The facade of the church itself is enlivened by a vestibule with a triangular gable wall and a large central stylised rose window. Blind windows adorn the top section of the facade. In addition, a stone escutcheon is set into the window surround, while a sculpture of an eagle by Tadeusz Błotnicki stands at the apex of the buttress situated on the southern corner of the church. The side facades of the nave feature paired arched windows positioned inside larger window-like recesses, with large rose windows shaped to resemble a flower with five petals placed directly above. The interior of the church is divided into individual bays by brick arches. A choir gallery made of brick and wood stands in the middle of the first bay. The chancel is separated from the rest of the church by a pointed rood arch. The interior of the church was designed in a historicist style to match the architecture of the building. Most of the interior fittings were designed by Sławomir Odrzywolski, including the main altar (made by Karol Wakulski from Cracow), the pulpit and the baptismal font (made by Ferdynand Majerski from Przemyśl) as well as the pews (including the patron’s pew). The pipe organ was manufactured by Gegrüder Rieger, while the wall paintings (which have not survived) were executed by Antoni Tuch. Tadeusz Zajdzikowski was responsible for the design of the stained glass windows.

The fence around the church follows an irregular path; it is a brick structure composed of brick posts topped with small gablets covered with roof tiles as well as the relatively tall walls between the posts, also clad with roof tiles. The metal fence panels between the posts are a modern addition. The main gate located north of the church, four smaller gates and four brick / brick and stone shrines with niches housing the sculptures of the Virgin Mary, St Francis, St Peter and St John of Nepomuk all form part of the fence surrounding the church. A sculpted bust of pope Pius X is positioned on the axis running through the main church entrance.

The building is available all year round and may be visited upon prior telephone appointment.

Compiled by Bartosz Podubny, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Rzeszów, 21.08.2014.

Bibliography

  • Record sheet, Mrowla, Kościół parafialny p.w. św. Łukasza Ewangelisty, compiled by Wajdowicz Cz., 2008 r., Archive of the Voivodeship Heritage Monuments Protection Office, Krosno Regional Office.
  • Record sheet, Mrowla, Ogrodzenie z czterema kapliczkami i popiersiem Piusa X w zespole kościoła par. p.w. św. Łukasza Ewangelisty, compiled by Wajdowicz Cz., 2008 r., Archive of the Voivodeship Heritage Monuments Protection Office, Krosno Regional Office.
  • Różańska J., Jubileusz kościoła parafialnego w Mrowli 1905-2005, „Trzcionka” 2005, nr 35, s. 8-10.

General information

  • Type: tserkva
  • Chronology: 1895-1900
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Mrowla
  • Location: Voivodeship podkarpackie, district rzeszowski, commune Świlcza
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area