Evangelical church, currently the Roman Catholic filial church of the Holy Trinity, Miękowo
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Evangelical church, currently the Roman Catholic filial church of the Holy Trinity

Miękowo

photo

An example of a small, 18th-century aisleless church constructed using the traditional timber-framing technique - a typical feature of the architecture of Western Pomerania. Its three-storey tower, crowned with a Baroque cupola, has become a local architectural landmark. Despite the passage of time, the church has retained its original architectural form, half-timbered wall structure and historic interior fittings.

History

The church was erected in 1872, as evidenced by the dates displayed both on the rooftop weathervane and on the tower door lintel, as well as by the type of timber-framing used for the walls of the church and the arrangement of wooden beams within the walls themselves. The funds for the construction of the church were provided by the municipal authorities of the town of Goleniów; initially, the church formed part of the Evangelical parish in Żółwia Błoć. At the turn of the 20th century, the church underwent renovation works which included, among others, the installation of new, pointed-arch windows and the introduction of new interior fixtures and fittings (the altarpiece, the pulpit and some of the pews). On 08.12.1947, the building was consecrated as a Roman Catholic church of the Holy Trinity, forming part of the parish of St Catherine in Goleniów; from 1985 onwards, the church has been the part of the Krępsko parish. The church underwent renovation works in the 1980s and after the year 2000, with the works in question encompassing both the timber-framed wall structure, the foundations and the roof cladding.

Description

The church of the Holy Trinity is located in the middle of the village, on a small village green, next to the junction of the local roads. The churchyard (which had originally served as a cemetery) is circumscribed by a low stone wall with brick gate posts. The church stands in the middle of the yard. It is oriented towards the east and features a tower in its western section. It was designed as an aisleless church, constructed on a rectangular plan. The architectural form of the church is typical of the timber-framed ecclesiastical buildings erected in Western Pomerania during the 17th and 18th century, containing clear references to both Baroque architecture and Gothic Revival detailing. The nave was built on a rectangular floor plan, measuring 11.2 m by 8.6 m; it is covered by a gable roof with a jerkin head on its eastern side, the total height of the roof being approximately 9.5 metres. The tower is a three-storey structure measuring 5 x 3.8 metres at its base and featuring a stepped outline crowned with a bulbous cupola. The total height of the tower is about 14 metres. The entrance to the church is positioned along the southern wall of the nave; another, western entrance leads through the ground floor section of the tower. The walls of the church feature a half-timbered oakwood structure with both clay (wattle-and-daub) and brick infills, their surface covered with plaster and whitewash. The timber frame consists of an irregular arrangement of posts positioned on the sill plate, fastened with top plates and bound together with two layers of wooden beams (with the exception of the tower, where both three-layer and single-layer variants are used), with angle braces at the corners; today, some of the wooden beams show signs of repairs performed by filling the cracks and splits in the timber structure. The nave features a wooden ceiling with exposed beams. The church still features its original rafter and collar roof truss with queen posts on both sides, supplemented by additional diagonal posts. The roof cladding is made of ceramic beaver-tail tiles forming a “lace” pattern. The tower cupola and the skirt roofs encircling the lower sections of the tower are clad with slate. The façades of the church have retained their original appearance and décor, with the rhythmic arrangement of the building’s timber frame serving as its primarily distinguishing feature. The longer walls of the church follow a three- and four-axial layout respectively, while the eastern gable wall follows a two-axial layout. The façades are accentuated by pointed-arch window openings with early-20th century stained glass windows. Inside, an organ gallery supported by two pairs of pillars occupies the western section of the nave. The sacristy is positioned on the ground floor level of the tower. The historical fixtures and fittings of the church - dating back mostly to the early 20th century - include the pulpit, the altarpiece, the pews and the pipe organ casing.

The church can be viewed from outside. Viewing of the interior is only possible with the consent of the parish priest.

compiled by Waldemar Witek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Szczecin, 24-02-2015.

Bibliography

  • Lemcke H., Die Bau - und Kunstdenkmäler des Regierungsbezirks Stettin, Hf. IX: Der Kreis Naugard, Stettin 1910.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Miękowo
  • Location: Voivodeship zachodniopomorskie, district goleniowski, commune Goleniów - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area