Poznaj lokalne zabytki

Wyraź zgodę na lokalizację i oglądaj zabytki w najbliższej okolicy

Zmień ustawienia przeglądarki aby zezwolić na pobranie lokalizacji
This website is using cookies. Learn more.

Complex of the former Evangelical Church of Mount Tabor - Zabytek.pl

Complex of the former Evangelical Church of Mount Tabor

church Miejska Górka

Miejska Górka, Plac Powstańców Wielkopolskich 7

woj. wielkopolskie, pow. rawicki, gm. Miejska Górka - miasto

An example of a former Evangelical church complex comprising: a church, a former graveyard, and a gate.

The aisleless church, having a chancel terminating in a semi-hexagon and a tower rising above the east façade, has a timber frame structure covered with weatherboards on the outside. The complex is a testimony to the existence of Protestant culture and religion in this region in the early modern period and to the existence of an Evangelical community, established in the mid-16th century, in Miejska Górka.


Originally, the name of the town was “Górka”; it was given its present name in 1469. In the 13th century, it belonged to komes Przedpełek, a member of the Łodzia family, who later adopted the name of Górka. Górka was granted municipal rights in the 14th century. In 1428, when it was owned by Łukasz Górka, it was granted municipal rights based on German law. Miejska Górka remained the property of the Górka family until the early 1590s. During the Reformation, it was a major centre of Lutheranism. The Evangelical cemetery in Miejska Górka most likely comes from that period. In the following centuries, the town was owned successively by: the Czarnkowskis, the Kostkas, the Opalińskis, the Leszczyńskis, and the Sułkowskis.

The church was built in the years 1777-78 (the date “1777” is carved on one of the beams inside the church). It may have been founded by August Kazimierz Sułkowski. A graveyard gate was erected in 1857. In 1859, a bell tower was constructed in the graveyard and a tower was built onto the east façade of the church. The church was renovated in 1840 and in the years 1900-11. After the war, it was used as a storehouse for some time.


The complex of the former Evangelical church of Mount Tabor (comprising the church, a graveyard, and a gate) is located in the north-eastern part of the town, surrounded by town buildings. The boundaries of the complex are defined by Zacisze Street on the north side, 22 Stycznia Street on the east side, a row of private houses on the west side, and Powstańców Wielkopolskich and Kobylińska Streets on the south side.

The church is situated in the south-eastern part of the graveyard, having an irregular shape, which can be accessed through a gate standing at the end of a short path on the south side, connecting it with Kobylińska Street. In the graveyard, by the eastern and western sections of the wall, there are graves from the 2nd half of the 19th century.

The aisleless church has a rectangular floor plan. The entrance is located in the west wall. The chancel terminates in a semi-hexagon. A rectangular porch adjoins the church on the south side.

The main body of the church, made up of cuboids, has one storey. The nave and the chancel are covered with a gable roof. The porch by the south wall of the nave is cuboidal in shape and covered with a separate dual-pitched roof. The tower rising above the east façade, taller than the nave, has a quadrangular base and is topped with an onion-shaped roof surmounted by a lantern.

The church has a timber frame structure with clay infill, covered with weatherboards on the outside and plastered inside. The roofs above the nave, the chancel, and the south porch are covered with roof tiles and the tower roof is covered with sheet metal. The nave has a false barrel vault. The sections of the nave below the galleries are covered with beamed ceilings.

The church façades are covered with vertically-positioned weatherboards. The three-sided west façade has a door opening headed by a basket-handle arch at the ground floor level. The symmetrical side façades have the same design — the windows are arranged into two rows: at the lower levels, there are smaller, square windows, and at the higher level, there are rectangular, round-arched windows. The porch adjoining the central section of the south façade has an entrance on the south side. The central part of the three-sided east façade, surmounted by the tower, has the form of a pseudo-avant-corps. The windows are also arranged into two rows, just like the side façades.

The church has one nave with no aisles. Two-storeyed galleries, supported by four pairs of posts, run along the longer side walls and the shorter west wall.

To the south of the church, incorporated into a line of buildings at the border of the graveyard, along Kobylińska Street, stands the tripartite gate, made of brick and covered with plaster. The central part of its front façade is decorated with vertical and horizontal lines in the plaster. The main, central opening is headed by a semi-circular arch; on its east side, there is a rectangular wicket gate connected with the neighbouring building. A rectangular panel was placed on the west side in order to make the gate symmetrical. Above the central opening, there is a quotation in the German language, still partially readable, coming from the Gospel according to John 11, 25: “Ich bin die (…) und das Leben” [“I am the Resurrection and the Life”]. Above, there is a prominent cornice with a drainage skirt roof covered with roof tiles, above which there is a low, stepped gable with a cross. The side parts are topped with dual-pitched, nearly flat roofs covered with roof tiles, resting on cornices projecting from the wall.

The historic monument is inaccessible.

compiled by Anna Dyszkant, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 30-11-2015.


  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. V: Województwo poznańskie, z. 21: Powiat rawicki, oprac. T. Ruszczyńska, A. Sławska, Warszawa 1971, s. 18.
  • Werner A., Geschichte der evangelischen Parochien in der Provinz Posen, Posen 1898, s. 94-97.
  • Zgodziński B., Województwo leszczyńskie, Warszawa-Poznań 1989, s. 257-260.

Category: church

Architecture: nieznana

Building material:  wood

Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records

Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.169772, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_BK.70428