Complex of St Bartholomew the Apostle Parish Church, Majdan Królewski
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Complex of St Bartholomew the Apostle Parish Church

Majdan Królewski

photo

The church complex in Majdan Królewski, consisting of a church, a gatehouse-belfry and a fence, is an example of the 18th-century church complex, distinctive for its two towers. One of them is a gatehouse-belfry leading to the complex area, with a high artistic and landscape value. The other one represents the front façade of the church, whose interior features valuable examples of 18th-century sculptural and woodcarving works of the Lvov provenance, linked to Maciej Polejowski’s workshop.

History

The parish in Majdan Królewski was founded in 1765, but already in 1743 a wooden chapel, which constituted a filial chapel of the parish in Cmolas, existed in the town. The establishment of the parish was preceded by the construction of the present church, which began in 1761 and was completed in 1791. The church interior was covered with wall paintings created by Władysław Lutecki and Marian Stroński in 1949. They were renovated in 1976 by Józef Steciński. In the years 1992-2002 the church was renovated (among others, façades, new copper sheet roof); then, in the years 2003-2006 preservation works concerning the historic fittings were carried out. The accompanying gatehouse-belfry also comes from the 2nd half of the 18th century; it was renovated in the years 1985-1989; a fence that surrounds the church area dates back to the late 18th century.

Description

The complex is located in the north-western part of the old town, in a wedge formed by two roads converging from the east, the conjunction of which on the eastern side of the complex formed the Konfederatów Barskich Square. A parking area and a cemetery are located on the western side of the complex. The complex area is circumscribed by a masonry fence with a gatehouse-belfry erected in the eastern section, along the church axis.

The church is oriented; it has one nave. The rectangular nave is preceded in the west by a square vestibule of the tower and a rectangular vestibule in the south. The chancel, approximating the shape of a square as regards its floor plan, is accompanied in the south by a rectangular sacristy consisting of two rooms. The church body consists of additive parts surmounted by a tall and narrow tower added to the temple in the west, covered by a two-segment, convex-concave cupola crowned with a lantern. The tall nave is covered with a gable roof with a steeple located in the eastern part of the roof ridge. The chancel is narrower and equal in height to the nave and is covered with a gable roof. Low annexes (vestibule and sacristy) covered with mono-pitched roofs were added to southern walls of the church. The building is made of brick; the interiors of the nave and the chancel feature barrel vaults with lunettes supported by arches. The double suspension roof truss is made of wood and is clad with sheet metal. The church façades are decorated with lesenes, pilasters and a string course. The tower is topped with a crowning cornice with a cubic frieze. The church nave has three bays, while the chancel is of a two-bay type. Walls inside the temple are circumscribed by pronounced entablature supported by double pilasters. Fields between pilasters house arcaded niches. The music gallery in the western part of the nave rests on three masonry arcades. When it comes to interior fittings of the church, we need to mention three altars from the Late Baroque period and a pulpit and pipe organ casing from the same era. Window openings are embellished with stained-glass windows made by the Kraków Artistic Stained-Glass and Glazing Company of Władyslaw Ekielski and Anthoni Tuch (1906).

The gatehouse - belfry was erected on a square floor plan and forms a part of the fence surrounding the complex. A Late Baroque, three-storey, masonry building is topped with a cupola similar to a church tower. Façades are partitioned into three storeys by means of cornices. Façades of the lower part rest on a plinth and are framed by double lesenes. The gate opening on the front (east) façade terminates in a bifoil arch, while the opening on the west façade - in a basket-handle arch. Middle and upper storeys also rest on a plinth but they are framed by lesenes with superimposed Corinthian pilasters supporting entablature that crowns these storeys. Window and gate openings are framed by double surrounds with a keystone. The belfry features three bells, including the Bartholomew bell from 1794.

The wall is made of brick and stone, reinforced using massive buttresses. The western part of the southern and northern sections as well as the middle part of the western section feature single-passage gates in the form of a screen wall crowned with a triangular gable clad with sheet metal. Openings terminate in basket-handle arches. The internal side of the wall features irregularly positioned niches terminating in segmental arches.

The building is available all year round; sightseeing upon prior telephone appointment.

compiled by Bartosz Podubny, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Rzeszow, 03-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytków architektury i budownictwa, tzw. karta biała, Majdan Królewski, Kościół parafialny p.w. św. Bartłomieja Apostoła, oprac. A. Grajter, 1998 r. (Archiwum WUOZ Delegatura w Rzeszowie)
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytków architektury i budownictwa, tzw. karta biała, Majdan Królewski, Dzwonnica przy kościele parafialnym, oprac. A. Grajter, 1998 r. (Archiwum WUOZ Delegatura w Rzeszowie)
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytków architektury i budownictwa, tzw. karta biała, Majdan Królewski, Ogrodzenie kościoła parafialnego, oprac. A. Grajter, 1998 r. (Archiwum WUOZ Delegatura w Rzeszowie)
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, województwo rzeszowskie, powiat kolbuszowski, Kutrzebianka K. (oprac.), mpis, (kserokopia w Archiwum NID OT w Rzeszowie).
  • Rocznik Diecezji Sandomierskiej 2010, Kida K. (red.), Sandomierz 2012
  • Filozof T., Majdańska perła, „Skarby Podkarpackie” 2012, nr 2

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1761-1791
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Majdan Królewski
  • Location: Voivodeship podkarpackie, district kolbuszowski, commune Majdan Królewski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area