Church of St Nicholas, Łubowo
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Church of St Nicholas

Łubowo

photo

The Church of St Nicholas is a building having a log structure with vertical supports, with a tower having a post-and-beam structure. It is an example of a rural wooden church typical of this region, characterised by features of Baroque wooden architecture.

History

The village of Łubowo was mentioned in written records for the first time in 1325. In the 15th and 16th centuries, it was referred to as a town. In the 16th century, it belonged to the Górek family, in the 17th century — the Dobieszewski family, and in the 18th century — the Lutomski family. The village has not retained its urban layout to this day. The church was built and fitted out by the Dryja-Łubowski family, the owners of the village, in the 13th century. The first documents mentioning a local parish date from the early 15th century. The first church building burnt down in 1656. The building which has survived to this day was erected in c. 1660; it was founded by Stanisław Dzianotta, a canon from Gniezno, head of a monastery of the Order of Malta. The church was consecrated in 1680. A chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Solace, founded by the Lutomski family, was built onto the north wall of the nave in 1720. In 1820, during restoration works, a tower was added to the building. The church was renovated in 1929 and after 2000.

The first church in Łubowo was built in the 13th century.

The local parish was mentioned by written records for the first time in the early 15th century.

The present church was built in 1660.

The Chapel of Our Lady of Solace was built onto the nave in 1720.

In 1820, the church underwent full-scale renovations. The tower was most likely built in that year.

Restoration works were carried out in 1929 and in 1956-1957.

The church also underwent renovations after 2000.

Description

Łubowo, a large village being the seat of the admninistrative office of the Łubowo commune, is located 10 km to the west of Gniezno, by Poznań-Bydgoszcz-Toruń roads. The Church of St Nicholas is located in the central part of the village, on the south side of a road running from Poznań to Gniezno, at the intersection of roads leading to Kostrzyn, Czerniejewo, and Owieczki.The church, oriented to the east, is situated on a flat plot of land. The church is surrounded by a former graveyard, covering an oval area enclosed with a low brick wall, with decorative, forged wicket gates on the east and south sides. A procession path runs around the church. The rest of the area is overgrown with grass, with a number of deciduous trees. The graveyard contains the stone grave cross of Kazimierz Śniegocki (who died in 1831) and the grave of Jan Nepomucen Krawczyński, a Łubowo parish-priest, who died in 1896. In the south-west corner, there is a wooden morgue. To the south of the church, there is a rectory.

The village of Łubowo was mentioned in written records for the first time in 1325. In the 15th and 16th centuries, it was referred to as a town. In the 16th century, it belonged to the Górek family, in the 17th century — the Dobieszewski family, and in the 18th century — the Lutomski family. The village has not retained its urban layout to this day. The first church was built and fitted out by the Dryja-Łubowski family, the owners of the village, in the 13th century. The first documents mentioning a local parish date from the early 15th century. The first church building burnt down in 1656. The building which has survived to this day was erected in c. 1660; it was founded by Stanisław Dzianotta, a canon from Gniezno, head of a monastery of the Order of Malta. The church was consecrated in 1680. A chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Solace, founded by the Lutomski family, was built onto the north wall of the nave in 1720. Probably in 1820, during restoration works, a tower was added to the building. The church was renovated in 1929 and after 2000.

The Baroque building has walls made of oak wood, resting on a cobblestone wall base and covered with weatherboards on the outside. It has a log structure with vertical supports. The chapel is made of larch wood. The tower has a post-and-frame structure; its walls are covered with weatherboards. The church has one nave (with no aisles), built on a rectangular floor plan, a slightly narrower chancel on the east side, and a square tower on the west side. The building has an interesting shape: the nave has cut-off corners on the west side; the chancel, lower than the nave, is covered with gable roofs with wood shingles. Inside, there is a wooden ceiling covered with boards, decorated with paintings depicting the Virgin Mary and plant motifs. The church fittings date from the 17th and 18th centuries.

The historic monument can be visited from the outside. Visiting the building inside is possible by prior arrangement. More information about the parish and the Holy Mass schedule can be found on the website of the parish and the Gniezno Archdiocese: www.archidiecezja.pl

compiled by Teresa Palacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 30-09-2015.

Bibliography

  • Kozierowski St., Szematyzm historyczny ustrojów parafialnych dzisiejszej Archidiecezji Gnieźnięńskiej, Poznań 1934, s. 121-22.
  • Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego i innych krajów słowiańskich, t. V, s. 777-8, Warszawa 1884.
  • Kohte J., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Posen, Bd. IV, Berlin 1897, s. 133.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. V, z. 3, 75-6, Warszawa 1963.
  • Łęcki Wł., Wielkopolska - słownik krajoznawczy, Poznań 2002.
  • Jaśkowiak Fr., Województwo Poznańskie, Warszawa 1967.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1660 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Łubowo
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district gnieźnieński, commune Łubowo
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area