Evangelical-Augsburg church of the Holy Trinity, Lublin
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Evangelical-Augsburg church of the Holy Trinity

Lublin

photo

The only active, Classicist church of the Lutheran confession in the Lublin region, built in years 1785-1788 and featuring a complete set of original interior fittings. One of the most fascinating parts of its interior fixtures and fittings are the unique coffin plaques dating back to the 18th and 19th century.

History

In 1784, the local Evangelical community purchased from Adam Łaskarzewski a manor house with a large yard, known as the “Trypolszczyna” or “Bazyliański Manor” in order to use the site for the construction of their church. Under the charter granted by King Stanisław August, they were allowed to erect a church, a cemetery and an infirmary; the church, designed by Fryderyk Zilchert (Zilleher) was erected in years 1785 - 88 in the western part of the site. One of its main benefactors was Jan Piaskowski. The church, featuring a single tower, was designed in the Classicist style with a touch of Baroque and was reminiscent of the architecture of the temple in Piaski. It was a finely proportioned design, featuring top-quality architectural detailing. The roof of the main body of the church was clad with roof tiles, while the tower featured sheet metal cladding.

The sculptural decorations of the interior, such as the pilaster capitals, were executed by a man called Flagler, a sculptor. Towards the end of the 18th century, an Early Baroque altarpiece dating back to 1628 was moved to the church from the nearby town of Piaski, as was the Baroque pulpit most likely originating from the first half of the 18th century. In 1819, Jan Piaskowski provided the funds for a new pipe organ; it was later replaced in 1912 by a new one, manufactured by E.F. Walcker. Beneath the organ loft, a number of coffin plaques was attached to the wall; these were gradually added, so that, with the passage of time, a sizeable collection was built up. The earliest of these coffin plaques date back to the early 19th century, whereas the most recent ones were added just before World War I.

In years 1821, 1845-1846 and 1885, minor renovation works were carried out, involving, among others, the replacement of the roof cladding. During World War I, the church sustained damage. Major renovation works were carried out in the 1970s.

In years 1784-1785, a rectory, designed in the Classicist style, was built east of the church itself, with the new structure most likely incorporating the walls of the former manor house. In 1823, an infirmary which also doubled as a school was built; the building no longer exists, having been torn down in 1971.

At the time of construction of the church, a cemetery was also established, surrounded by a perimeter wall. The earliest surviving gravestone (the tomb of the Weber family) dates back to 1787. It is assumed that the cemetery ceased operations in 1831, when a new Evangelical cemetery on Lipowa street took over its role.

Description

The church and the cemetery occupy a plot of land located in the centre of Lublin, located between Krakowskie Przedmieście street, Ewangelicka street and I Armii Wojska Polskiego street. Its front façade faces the east, towards the rectory located near the church itself.

The church, featuring a single tower, was designed in the Classicist style, with a touch of Baroque. It is set on a rectangular, almost square floor plan and features a tripartite chancel. The church follows a single-nave, five-bay layout with a rectangular porch adjoining it to the east. A rectangular annex adjoins the chancel from the western side. The church is made up of a cuboid main body with a gable roof and a projecting tower in its southern section, designed on a square floor plan and crowned with a tented roof clad with sheet metal, as well as of an annex, likewise cuboid in shape, which adjoins the structure to the west and is covered by a three-sided roof. The building is made of brick, its walls covered with plaster on both sides; all roofs are clad with sheet metal. The roof truss is made of wood.

The façades are set upon a tall plinth and feature a rhythmic arrangement of windows topped with semicircular arches and framed by profiled surrounds interspersed with Ionic pilasters supporting an entablature above. The front façade follows a single-axial design with a rectangular door framed by a profiled surround topped with a triangular pediment; directly above the said pediment there is a window leading out into a projecting balcony with a cast iron railing. Above the front façade rises the tower, featuring an identical window in its lower section and an oculus near the top; the lower part of the tower is flanked by sections of simple roof coping flowing downwards towards rectangular plinths with ornamental urns on top.

The interior is divided into bays by a series of Ionic pilasters. The pipe organ gallery is positioned inside the first bay, alongside the eastern wall. The interior décor is simple and austere and appearance, in accordance with the Protestant world-view and ideals. The most valuable interior fixtures and fittings include the Early Baroque main altarpiece and the Baroque pulpit. One of the most interesting features is the collection of coffin plaques exhibited on the wall beneath the organ gallery. The plaques are made of die-cut sheet metal with a gilt or silvered finish. The plaques are adorned with foliate motifs, often supplemented by the depictions of angels or crowns. The epitaph plaques of a number of industrialists who had once lived in Lublin, including August Karol Vetter and Henryk Jan Krausse, as well as of a few Lublin pastors, have also been embedded in the walls of the church.

Remains of the old cemetery with antique headstones surround the church. The surviving structures include items designed in the Classicist or Empire styles, such as an old tomb chest, a decorative urn, remains of Doric columns or a stele adorned with a symbolic image of extinguished torches; there is also a headstone in the form of a coffin supported by cannon barrels. Various inscriptions in Polish, Latin and German can still be seen on the surviving headstones.

The historic monument is accessible to visitors. Viewing of the church is only possible by prior telephone arrangement; the parish office is open on Thursdays and Fridays between 10 AM and 4 PM (phone number: 81 442 10 50).

compiled by Anna Sikora-Terlecka, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 23-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Czerepińska J. Michalska G., Studziński J., Zespół kościoła Świętej Trójcy w Lublinie, [in:] rev. Chwastek D. [ed.], Parafia Ewangelicko - Augsburska w Lublinie. Historia-tradycja-współczesność, Lublin 2007, pp. 41-58
  • Kawałko P., Nestorowicz Z., Lublin. Przewodnik, Lublin 2012, pp. 214-216
  • Nowak B., Lublin. Przewodnik, Lublin 2000, pp. 201-203.

General information

  • Type: sacral architecture
  • Chronology: 1785-1788
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Ewangelicka 1, Lublin
  • Location: Voivodeship lubelskie, district Lublin, commune Lublin
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area