Filial church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Lubiszyn
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Filial church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Lubiszyn

photo

One of the oldest rural brick churches, preserved in the former New March.

History

The church in Marwice was erected at the turn of the 13th and the 14th century (or earlier). The first mention referring to the parish, as well as three knight seats, comes from as late as 1337. In 1716, a tower based on a post-and-beam structure was added to the stone and brick building. In addition, in the Baroque period, the church was extended by a chapel and a sacristy. At that time, it was owned by Protestants. It was reclaimed by Catholics only after World War II. During the 1970s, the church was renovated - its interior was provided with modern décor and fittings, and outside, a new sacristy was built in the place of the older one.

Description

The single-nave filial church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary is a stone and brick building erected on a rectangular floor plan, mainly of granite blocks, covered with a gable roof. The façades of this small church are enlivened by pointed-arch stepped portals with granite reveals (currently, one of the portals is bricked-up) and blind windows located in the upper sections of the gable walls. Also the narrow, high windows of the church are of a pointed-arch type. Inside, there are surviving painted decoration from the mid-14th century, presenting the Crucifixion. It was placed on the eastern wall, at the attic level, when the roof truss was visible.

The building is available during services or upon prior appointment with the parish priest.

compiled by Krzysztof Garbacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 14-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 3: Powiaty: gorzowski - słubicki - sulęciński - międzyrzecki - strzelecko-drezdenecki, Zielona Góra 2013, s. 64, fot. 31-32.
  • Kaczmarek-Dębska A. (A.K.D.), Marwice, gm. Lubiszyn, [w:] Zabytki północnej części województwa lubuskiego (red. J. Lewczuk, B. Skaziński), Gorzów Wlkp.-Zielona Góra 2004, s. 54.
  • Reißmann K. (oprac.), Die Kunstdenkmäler des Stadt- und Landkreises Landsberg (Warthe), Berlin 1937, s. 12-113.
  • Socha P. i in., Kościoły Diecezji Zielonogórsko-Gorzowskiej. Nasze Dziedzictwo / Kirchen der Diözese von Zielona Góra und Gorzów. Unser Erbe, t. 1, Bydgoszcz 2007, s. 128-129.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XIII/XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Lubiszyn
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district gorzowski, commune Lubiszyn
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area