Parish Church of the Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary, Lubawka
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of the Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary

Lubawka

photo

Originally erected in the 15th century, the church still retains a number of Gothic design features despite having been redesigned in the Baroque style later in its existence, its overall shape being the product of a number of distinct phases in its evolution. The church is also notable due to the presence of sumptuous interior fixtures and fittings designed in a mixture of the Baroque and Rococo style by the sculptor Joseph Anton Lachel.

History

The church was most likely erected in the 15th century on the site of an earlier building, first mentioned in written sources in 1292 and lost to the blaze during the Hussite wars. A comprehensive redesign took place in the years 1605-15. It was only during the second redesign which occurred in years 1735-36 under the direction of Joseph Anton Jentsch that the church attained its current appearance. It was during that period that the church received its new vaulted ceilings, galleries and an additional apse. The church underwent renovation works on several occasions throughout the 19th century, as well as in 1955, 1970 and in the years 1977-78.

Description

The church, surrounded by a cemetery, is located in the northern part of the town centre. The building is designed in the Baroque style, with the remnants of the original, Gothic structure being very much in evidence. It is a tall, three-nave masonry structure made of brick and stone, designed as a hall church with an integrated chancel terminating with a semi-circular apse. A tower designed on a square floor plan is situated west of the nave, its walls reinforced by buttresses; the upper section of the tower is octagonal in shape. The main body of the church is covered with a tall gable roof with a small jerkin head in its western section, while the tower is crowned with a tall cupola resting upon eight slender columns. A pair of small porches positioned north and south of the church flank its main body, while a quadrangular sacristy adjoins the chancel. The façades are covered with plaster, with the presence of buttresses lending a certain rhythm to their design; a few epitaph plaques are embedded in the walls of the church. The windows are arranged in two stacked rows and framed with plain surrounds; the windows in the upper row are topped with semicircular arches, while those beneath them are of the segment-headed type. Small oculi adorn the gables. The main entrance leads through the ground floor section of the tower; framed with a plain sandstone portal topped with a reverse ogee arch (bell arch) with a keystone. The entrances to the porches are topped with segmental arches and framed with plain portals adorned with keystones. The interior follows a six-bay layout, with the individual bays being of unequal length; the interior is divided by two rows of rectangular pillars, with three sides of each pillar being adorned with pilasters topped with lavishly ornamented capitals. The interior features sail vaults. The sumptuous fixtures and fittings exhibit the features of the Baroque and Rococo design and were created by artisans and craftsmen who were active in the town of Krzeszów during that period. Notable items include the main altarpiece (Joseph Anton Lachel, second half of the 18th century), baptismal font (1781), wooden pulpit (17th century) and an ensemble of wooden sculptures (18th century). There is also a number of oil paintings, including some by Felix Anton Scheffler. A column topped with the figure of St Barbara (18th century) stands in front of the church. The church is surrounded by a fence with a number of gates, incorporating parts of the former cemetery wall. An impressive, two-storey rectory building from ca. 1735 and redesigned in the 19th century is situated in the vicinity of the church. Its current L-shaped layout is the result of the 19th-century redesign. The ground floor room feature barrel vaults with lunettes and a plafond adorned with painted allegorical scenes, including the portrayal of the Four Continents.

The church interiors may be visited during church service. For more information, please contact the parish office.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 19-06-2015.

Bibliography

  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 8 Kotlina Kamiennogórska. Wzgórza Bramy Lubawskiej. Zawory, M. Staffa (ed.), Wrocław 1997, pp. 209-210, 213.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 508.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: pl. Jana Pawła II , Lubawka
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district kamiennogórski, commune Lubawka - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area