Church of St Martin, Linówiec
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Church of St Martin

Linówiec

photo

The church is a gem of ecclesiastical art. It is an interesting example of 18th-century wooden ecclesiastical architecture in Greater Poland, which has retained its original form to our times. The Baroque main altar from the early 18th century and the loom-shaped wooden bell tower, built in 1749, deserve particular attention.

History

Linówiec was mentioned in written sources before 1523. Most probably, even at that time Linówiec was a parish. The Church of St Martin in Linówiec was built in 1749. It was founded by Sebastian Cząstowski. Originally a parish church, currently it is subordinated to the Parish of Christ the King in Orchowo. The bell tower was renovated in 1929. The church was renovated in 1993 and 1995: conservation works were carried out on the walls, new sill plates were constructed, new weatherboards were installed, and the roof covering was changed to sheet metal resembling roof tiles. The church was robbed in 1999. One of the valuable paintings which were stolen was retrieved.

Description

Linówiec is a small village located approx. 5 km to the east of Orchowo. The Church of St Martin is situated on a small hill in the centre of the village. The building has a wooden log structure. The walls, covered with weatherboards, rest on a cobblestone wall base. The church, aisleless, is oriented towards the east. It is covered with a one-ridge säteri (mansard) roof with sheet metal covering. On the west side, the roof is surmounted by an octagonal steeple topped with an onion-shaped cupola. The cuboidal main body of the church, terminating in a semi-hexagon on the east side, has three annexes — a porch, a chapel, and a sacristy, all covered with gable roofs. The main entrance leads through the porch in front of the nave. Inside, there are flat ceilings with cove moulding. The music gallery, enclosed with a straight-line parapet and containing a pipe organ, is supported by two posts. Notable elements of the interior include the remains of the original wall paintings and the preserved Baroque fittings. The main altar and the pulpit, both in the Baroque style, date from the 1st half of the 18th century. In the central field of the altar, there is a painting depicting the Wedding of Mary and Joseph, and at the top, there is a painting of St Martin. The side altar, Baroque-folk in character, comes from the late 18th and early 19th century. It incorporates a painting of Jesus on the Cross from the mid-19th century. The holy water font is made of granite. The church also has a Baroque-folk procession cross with the date “1756”. The loom-type wooden bell tower from 1749 is covered with a gable roof. It underwent restoration works in 1929.

By the church, there is a loom-type bell tower. It is situated to the south of the church, by the picket fence surrounding the church yard. It was built in 1749. Made of wood, resting on a cobblestone and brick wall base, it is covered with a gable roof. The entrance is located on the west side. Inside, there is a cast iron bell.

The church may be visited from the outside. Holy Mass: Sunday at 10.30 AM.

compiled by Beata Marzęta, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 17-11-2015.

Bibliography

  • Brykowski R., Wielkopolskie Kościoły Drewniane, Poznań 2001; str. 155.
  • Drewniane Kościoły w Wielkopolsce , red. Maluśkiewicz P., Poznań 2004; str. 137
  • Wielkopolska Słownik Krajoznawczy, Poznań 2002, s. 179
  • Maluśkiewicz P., Województwo konińskie, Warszawa-Poznań 1983, s. 223-224
  • Maluśkiewicz P., Ziemia konińska, przewodnik turystyczny, Konin 2002, s. 112

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1749 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Linówiec
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district słupecki, commune Orchowo
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area