Parish Church of St Barbara, Lalkowy
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of St Barbara

Lalkowy

photo

It is an example of a brick Gothic church characteristic of the southern part of Gdańsk Pomerania.

History

The first mention of the parish in the village of Lalkowy (formerly “Lalekow”) dates back to 1398. The church was built in the second half of the 14th century and was consecrated in 1409. The church dedicated to St Barbara was mentioned only in 1583, but most probably it was the original dedication. The interior, roofs and crown of the walls were destroyed by fire in 1862. Between 1863 and 1866, the church was rebuilt. The stepped gables of the tower, roofs, ceilings, southern porch, door joinery and most of the fittings date back to that period. In 1868, the church was reconsecrated. In 1909 and 2009, the parish celebrated the anniversaries of the first consecration. In 2011, the roof was renovated and the roof covering was replaced. In 2013, the relief depicting St George underwent maintenance.

Description

The church is located in the eastern part of the village, on a small hill, on the north side of a rural road. It is adjoined by a small graveyard surrounded by a wall. The graveyard boasts cast iron crucifixes and gravestones from the second half of the 19th century and early 20th century and old-growth trees. The Gothic building (small additions were introduced during the reconstruction after a fire in 1862) has one nave and a narrower chancel terminating in a straight wall. It is adjoined by a square tower located on the axis to the west, two small porches to the south, and a rectangular sacristy, adjacent to the chancel, to the north. The body is compact and dominated by a six-storey tower surmounted by two stepped gables. The main body is slightly higher than the chancel. Both structures terminate in gables to the east and are covered with gable roofs. The sacristy and chancel porch are topped by mono-pitched roofs, whereas the nave porch is covered with a gable roof facing the axis of the church. The walls are built of brick (part of the foundation and plinth made of granite fieldstone boulders) laid in alternating bond, incorporating ceramic fittings and detail of artificial stone. The roof is covered with monk-and-nun tiles. The roof truss is made of wood, partially open, and features a beamed ceiling. The sacristy and chancel porch are covered with barrel vaults. The brick façades are characterised by a separate plinth section (with the exception of the tower and the northern wall of the main body) and partitioned by the frieze below the crown of the walls (only the chancel and tower) and a modest crowning cornice. Most of the windows are narrow and topped with a pointed arch. The southern façade of the main body boasts four narrow blind windows; the eastern façades of the main body and chancels feature gables partitioned by rectangular lesenes, passing into rhomboid pinnacles; the walls of the chancel are additionally supported by two buttresses. The western façade of the tower has one axis and is pierced by a profiled pointed-arch portal on the lower storey, and has two axes on the upper storeys; it is surmounted by a five-axial stepped gable partitioned by pointed-arch blind windows with a round clock face. The interior is relatively strongly integrated despite the arcade of the rood arch separating the chancel. The space below the tower is clearly separated. The sacristy and annexes added to the porches are not accentuated. The interior is dominated by the furnishings dating from the second half of the 19th century and early 20th century: main altar, side altars, organs. The wooden relief depicting St George is a much older artwork (16th c.) that has been preserved in the church.

Limited access to the monument. Viewing of the church interior is only possible by prior arrangement with the parish office.

compiled by Krystyna Babnis, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Gdańsk, 10-07-2014.

Bibliography

  • Heise J. von (oprac.), Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler der Prowinz Westpreussen, z. 4: Kreis Marienwerder (westliche d. Weichsel ), Danzig 1887.
  • Przywuska A., Kociewska gmina Smętowo Graniczne. Dzieje do roku 2005, Starogard Gdański 2008.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Lalkowy
  • Location: Voivodeship pomorskie, district starogardzki, commune Smętowo Graniczne
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area