Catholic Church of All Saints, Kuchary Kościelne
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Catholic Church of All Saints

Kuchary Kościelne

photo

The Parish Church of All Saints in Kuchary Kościelne is an example of rural wooden ecclesiastical architecture of Greater Poland.

History

Kuchary Kościelne (which used to be called “Kuchary Cerkiewne”) was mentioned in written records for the first time in 1261. Over the next centuries, they were owned by members of the nobility, including the Grodziecki family (in the 17th century). A local parish was established in the 14th century. The first church was mentioned for the first time in 1449. The present church was built owing to the efforts of a local parish-priest, Rev. Michał Iwański, in 1795; it replaced a previous church building. In 1912, owing to the efforts of the contemporary parish-priest, Rev. Stanisław Małachowski, the church roof was completely renovated and covered with new weatherboards and the ceiling was supported with wooden posts. During World War II, the Germans robbed the church of chasubles and church linen. The church underwent full-scale renovations in the years 1990-1991; the works included the restoration of wall paintings, altars, and a painting of Our Lady of Sorrows from the 19th century. Moreover, a new pipe organ was constructed by Marcin Białkowski. In 2000, a pre-funeral chapel was built and the fence enclosing the church was renovated. The wooden bell tower by the church was constructed in the late 18th century and early 19th century.

Description

The church, oriented to the east, is situated on the western edge of the village. The building has a wooden log structure. It has a single nave (with no aisles) and a triangle-ended chancel. Its one-ridge gable roof is covered with sheet metal. It is surmounted by a steeple with an onion-shaped roof and a lantern. On the north, the nave is adjoined by a sacristy with stairs leading to the pulpit, and on the south side, symmetrically — by a square porch (narthex). Inside, there is a ceiling supported by posts. Wooden stairs in the southern part of the nave lead to a music gallery resting on two spirally twisted posts, located in the western part of the nave. Some of the fittings, including Baroque altars from 1700, come from the previous church.

The graveyard, having a number of trees, is enclosed with a stone and metal fence with a gate. In the south-eastern part of the graveyard, there is a wooden bell tower. Its lower part is covered with weatherboards. It was constructed in the late 18th century and early 19th century and renovated in 1978. It has a post-and-beam structure resting on a cobblestone wall base. Its roof is covered with sheet copper. To the east of the church, there is a brick rectory, built in 1928.

The church can be visited from the outside. Holy Masses: on Sundays and public holidays: 8.00, 12.00; on weekdays: in summer: 8.00 or 18.00, in winter: 8.00 or 17.00.

compiled by Tomasz Łuczak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 16-11-2015.

Bibliography

  • Diecezja włocławska 2000, red. W. Frątczak, W. Kujawski, A. Poniński, K. Rulka, L. Urbański, Włocławek 2001, s. 602.
  • Dzwonnica w Kucharach Kościelnych, Karta ewidencji zabytków architektury i budownictwa, ze zbiorów WUOZ w Poznaniu - Delegatura w Koninie
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. 5, Woj. wielkopolskie, red. Łoziński Jerzy, Wolff Barbara, z. 8, Pow. koniński, opr. Eckhardtówna Joanna, Orańska Józefa, Warszawa 1952, s. 12.
  • Kościoły drewniane w Wielkopolsce, red. Mariusz Grzebalski, Poznań 2004, s. 208.
  • Kościół parafialny pw. Wszystkich Świętych w Kucharach Kościelnych, Karta ewidencji zabytków architektury i budownictwa, ze zbiorów WUOZ w Poznaniu - Delegatura w Koninie
  • Piotr Maluśkiewicz, Województwo konińskie. Szkic monograficzny, Warszawa-Poznań 1983, s. 121.
  • Piotr Maluśkiewicz, Ziemia konińska. Przewodnik turystyczny, Konin 2002, s. 106.
  • Wielkopolska. Słownik krajoznawczy, red. Łęcki Włodzimierz, Poznań 2002, s. 167.
  • http://kosciolydrewniane.pl - odsłona z listopada 2015 r.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1795 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kuchary Kościelne
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district koniński, commune Rychwał - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area